HELP

Jazzman

Medium Fish
Jul 14, 2003
Houston, Texas
Visit site
i have a glolite tetra that seems to have swim bladder disease. He is swimming all over the place, upside down, sideways.....etc. Should i just put him out of his misery. I am not feeding any of my fishes today cuz i hear that its good to go a day without food. I also raised the temp some and added some salt. I have a 10 gallone tank with my betta LOUIE, c.a.e., 3 glowlite tetras and a african dwarf frog.

Jazzman

Medium Fish
Jul 14, 2003
Houston, Texas
Visit site
BUTTTTTTT....now i have a C.A.E. that is bored i guess and is now picking on my LOUIE (betta) i am thinking of just taking him out and uhhh i guess make a popcicle of him and them throw him away for something else.

any suggestions for what to replace him with?

i have......
betta
4 glowlite tetras
african dwarf frog
10 gallon tank

Mar 11, 2003
Don't freeze a fish just for being itself! If you would've asked about CAEs here, you would've learned that they are agressive and usually attach themselves to other fish, making them not-so-good tankmates for bettas. I noticed that you didn't say you even tried to treat your sick fish you just "disposed of him". Sorry to say this, but fish are NOT DISPOSABLE! It sounded like he had a swim bladder problem that could've been cured by cleaner water and less food.

Alexa

FishQueen

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Precious Gems is right! It's cruel just to kill a fish for being who they are. You need to research more about the fish before buying them. And you need to at least TRY to help them. For all you know, it could be really easy to help them!

Jazzman

Medium Fish
Jul 14, 2003
Houston, Texas
Visit site
i think you need to read my statement again Gems...I DID TRY TO TREAT IT.

....I am not feeding any of my fishes today cuz i hear that its good to go a day without food. I also raised the temp some and added some salt.

Think before you speak please.

Dragonett

Large Fish
Aug 13, 2003
Norwalk, CT
Visit site
Perhaps a water change could have done the trick, and maybe you should have tried some type of medicine to prevent any secondary infections from setting in.

About the Chinese Algae Eater, your best bet it to return him to wherever you got him from. They are a nuisance in many community tanks, they are avid fin nippers, and get to be about 5-6 inches long. You're not going to kill a baby for doing what s/he does naturally; crying. So why kill a fish for natural behavior? It's your fault for putting him in that situation.

Think before you speak? The same would go for killing or 'disposing' of animals that could easily be treated or traded to someone who can take care of it.

Mar 11, 2003
You don't state ANYWHERE that you "treated" the fish. Salt is NOT a medicine. Raising the temp WILL NOT help if you are not using it with a medicine, and it will not cure swim bladder disorder. So that in my mind is not trying to help the fish. Did you even research into curing the disease? It could've saved your fish.

Alexa

Jazzman

Medium Fish
Jul 14, 2003
Houston, Texas
Visit site
straight from THIS website....
Mostly seen in fancy goldfish it is not so much a disease as a genetic abnormality caused by mans fascination for odd shaped fish. The end result is that they get wind trapped in their stomachs which they cannot get rid of. An old cure was Epsom salts.

The other problem is their swim bladder is in the wrong position and the fish is constantly fighting the effects. Swim bladder disease on the other hand can affect all fish.

Raising the temperature and adding salt at 5 gm per gallon seem to help.

Mar 11, 2003
http://groups.msn.com/TheBettaObsession/illnessamptreatmentpart2.msnw

"Swim Bladder -Has a hard time swimming horizontally or cannot stay off the bottom of the container except when going up for air or feeding. A common problem in young bettas. It is not contagious and is due to overfeeding. Stop over feeding your betta/s (fry). They may return to normal, so do not kill them. Feed less and try a verity of foods. -Topbettas.com"

"TREATMENT: Bettas may recover on their own, but since overfeeding induces swimbladder disorders in most cases, the first thing to do is feed a lot less. Brine shrimp and too much of it is the biggest culprit, so if your bettas are bellysliding, stop the brine shrimp for a while and thereafter learn to have a more balanced diet, alternating brine shrimp with microworms or worms (depending on how old your bettas are). Do not kill a betta with a swimbladder disorder. It may recover on its own at any time, and is not suffering. Further more, the ailment is NOT contagious."

Did you catch the "Do not kill...the betta is not suffering" part? I know your fish was not a betta, but this goes for all fish.

I got all of this info in less than 5 minutes.

Alexa

Last edited:

Jazzman

Medium Fish
Jul 14, 2003
Houston, Texas
Visit site
becuz no body was responding to it on the DISEASE site....no i figured hey....there has to be some knowledgable people in the other forum where i was getting some good info from.
But anyways....the algae eater is going to be gone tommorrow and going to get some corys in place of the cae. Also a few more glowlites too. And i found a place where i can get some cheap river rocks....now i need to find a lil piece of driftwood somewhere.