HELP!!!!!!!!!!

jts112278

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I am in desperate need of help. I have had an epidemtic of sorts rip through my 55 gal tank. All the now deceased fish have displayed the same symtoms. They wedge them seems in between two rocks to keep themselves right side up. If they move they immediatly go belly up. They are still alive and breathing but they can't stay right side up. I have lost three fish this way and I don't want to loose anymore. Please help with any and all suggestions. Thanks

Ph is 8.4
Filtration= fluval 304 & 104
Temp is steady at 82 degrees

colesea

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NY USA
Is this an African cichlid tank? It sounds like the fish could have Maliwi bloat, a form of dropsy. As far as I know, there is no known cure for this disease.

The first thing you might want to do is decrease the temp. 82oF is pretty high for a whole lot of fish, and really makes their metabolism go crazy. A nice, steady 76oF is much nicer for fish of any type.

Are you feeding them a dry pellet? Sometimes a pellet that has not absorbed enough water before being ingested will expand in the gut of a fish, putting pressure on the swim badder and causing bouyancy problems. Depending upon the degree of damage this expansion causes, some fish do develop swim bladder disorders and infections from it.

The best thing you could is lower your temp to 76oF by lowering it two degrees every day, treat the tank with a broad-spectrum antibiotic, and cross your fingers.
~~Colesea