Hey im new here and setting up my first Saltwater tank

Nov 8, 2005
PA
hmmmm

i am j/w The sand says just add fish and on another site i was told i could add fish this week the sands called Arag-Alive Reef Sand its packed in water?

they told me to buy a damsel and wait for a while then return it and get my clowns???

Last edited:

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
Arag Alive Sand is just as alive as the sand in a sandbox (minus the cat doo)--you'll save some money and pain by just getting some fine grained bagged sand

if you get live rock, you can spare the damsel and add the clowns after the rock cures

Nov 15, 2005
Port Dover Ontario
thats what my fish store did i might give them back when my tank is cycled because i want to keep non aggressive fish so he gave me this to start out but i have rock and you can get them out with out taking out the rock it just might be a little tricky thats all

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I can't believe your lfs are telling you to stick fish in to cycle the tank. It's stuck in the 80's.

The sand is not very good value for money. Just spend the money on live rock.

lordroad

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2004
Shelby, NC
www.joshday.com
I cycled my tank with live rock. You'll be pleasantly surprised with the process... it's actually pretty fun, watching the creatures emerge and algae grow. I waited a week and 4 days and added hermit crabs and astrea snails. Then I waited another week and 4 days (thereabout) and got my clownfish.

Like everybody else, I highly, highly recommend cycling with live rock. Honestly, it's the only way to go. I know it sounds boring, as freshwater fishless cycling is boring (one of the reasons I don't do it and don't recommend it to friends), but marine is a whole different ball game. It really is the most effective way to go about getting your tank ready for fish and inverts.

Check out Camaro's sticky on the foundations of live rock at the top of the forum for more indepth info.

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
hey fishchaser..there is this store in laval, quebec...they used to have an english webpage, but now it's only in french : www.aquapassion.com 1-866-669-2232 is the free line . They used to sell SW stuff and they still have incredible live rock until it's gone. I juste drove there and took a 8 pounds fiji premium rock for 50 $ CDN ( 6.49 $ pounds ). There is also Vanuatu live rock.
They are closing the SW part of the store. Call them ( it's free ), they used to ship for free in canada when there is a good amount. They still have around 100 pounds of rock...fully cured, it was the rock used in the display tank. My piece is awesome and filled with coralline.
This is cheap and fully cured ( since a couple of years ! )..so if you don't have 2 much cash and can't find a store or just don't wanna get some from the states ( can cost more with the duty thing ), i recommend you check with the guys there.