Hey Somonas, JWright, and others.....

MbunaGal

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
communities.msn.com
I need some help here!  I have some "zebras" that just bred.  But, the one holding is identified as a red zebra and the other is an estherae.  I need some help determining the difference between a red zebra and a "red morph" estherae.  The female (zebra) is a pale orange color and the estherae (male) is a bright reddish orange color.  The estherae has a rounded forehead and the zebra has a poity-er face.  I always thought that the difference between an estherae and a zebra was the facial structure, but everyone at the other forum says that the two are the same fish!  Are they the same fish?  To me they look totally different.  I just need someone to help clear this up for me!!  Heres some pictures of what mine look like.....

This looks almost exactly like my fish that is holding, the female.

My estherae has a much larger forehead than this one, but the color is the same.

Thank you so much in advance for helping me clear this up!

Oct 22, 2002
They are color differences in the same species of fish. The estherae and P red zebra are different names for the same fish. They are now called Maylandia estherae "Red Zebra"

MbunaGal

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
communities.msn.com
Thanks!  I did a little more searching and discovered that indeed they are the same fish!  I guess what confused me was when the fish were labeled as a Maylandia estherae and as a M. zebra.  So, the M. estherae is the scientific name and the zebra part is the common name.  I was thinking that the zebra part was real and that there were 2 different fish!  Nevermind all of that...  Thanks anyways!  By the way, i can't wait to see my cute little orange babies!

Somonas

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
O-town
www.myfishtank.net
Yes, the powers that be in the Mbuna world have decided to regroup the Pseudotropheus genus into two subgroups - Metriaclima and Maylandia..

this is a good article here

http://www.connix.com/~mko/mw01012.htm

Somonas

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
O-town
www.myfishtank.net
Considering my last post here was exactly 4 weeks ago today and this is like the 5th topic down from the top in this forum I see I haven't missed much ;)

Got a bunch of new tanks, a bunch of new fish, and a bunch of new mouthbrooders.

I need more tanks. hmm.  and I am moving into a small apartment November 1st.  I suppose I don't need a couch or a TV. :)