High Nitrate levels.

homerdog

Small Fish
Dec 19, 2012
malvern uk
My young son was given a 48lt tank and accesseries back in August. After cycling, two minnows and two guppies were added. After they had been in a few weeks and the tank was settled four more guppies and four more minnows were added. We went away for a week and left the tank in the hands of my step daughter, with the instruction to lightly feed every other day. Sadly, she decided to ramp the central heating up to max and left it on, with the result that the temps went way too high, fish died and she didn't notice for a few days. She was told by our shop to do a 50% water change,to get the ammonia levels down and to get all the dead fish out. We returned and I did a 15% water change and then all the guppies died over a few days.

Over the next few weeks Ammo Lock was used and we changed water treatment to Easy Life as recommended by our shop. The ammonia levels were high and the tank wasn't cycling, so on the shops advice, we did another 50% change and kept our fingers crossed. After 4weeks the water was checked and given the all clear and we then left things another two weeks and checked again and the water was spot on. Result!

New guppies were purchased and they were very happy for 48hr. By this time the water had started to go cloudy and we had a dead guppy and the other fish were sticking to the surface of the water, I immediately did a 15% change and added Ammo Lock and Easy Life. The shop checked the water and although the Ammonia was safe, the Nitrite and Nitrate levels were dangerous. Nitrate Minus has been added on the shops advice and we haven't lost any more fish in 24hr. They can't tell me why this has happened, only that it shouldn't have happened so fast and they are at a loss. The only thing they can think of is that for some reason the cycle has stuck but, I can't see how it can when the Ammonia level is safe.

Any thoughts and suggestions will be most welcome and my 7year old and his retired father will be most grateful.

Glyn.

homerdog

Small Fish
Dec 19, 2012
malvern uk
We have lost no more fish thankfully. The water is still cloudy and the guppies are sluggish, although the minnows are their usual selves, so we may have more dead guppies soon. Seems as though it's fingers crossed time. glyn.

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
Do you have a way to test ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? If you show the first two you need to water change to reduce them to ZERO which is the only SAFE level. Cloudy water does not always mean bad water. Cloudy water is usually due to a bacteria or algae bloom but can also be caused from Phosphate as well because it attracts the opposite charge, kinda like "-" and "+" charges so it keeps particles suspended in the water. There is truly more to it but this is just a simple explanation so its short.

homerdog

Small Fish
Dec 19, 2012
malvern uk
Thanks people! Its 0600 here in UK and we haven't lost anymore fish, which one has to say is encouraging. The tank is clearing slightly, so the balance may be getting there and any improvement has to be good. The minnows are more like there usual selves and the guppies aren't quite so sluggish. I will do a nitrite and nitrate test and do a small water change and get the shop to test for ammonia. Again, thanks for the replies. Glyn.

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; Here is the title of a good read about cycling. I am not able to post a direct link on this forum so I suppose a search will be necessary to get to it.
NITROGEN CYCLE AND AQUARIUM & POND CYCLING;
How the Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle Works

homerdog

Small Fish
Dec 19, 2012
malvern uk
Don't you just love the internet! I'm very thankful for the advice and love the fact that the replies come from all over N. America.

I have done a small 15% water change and did a strip test before and the NO3 was around 50 mg/l and the NO2 around 10 mg/l. I should get the ammonia checked tomorrow. On Monday the NO3 was in excess of 250 mg/l apparently, so that has come down and the NO2 has come down as well. I haven't added anymore Ammo Lock or Nitrate Minus and the cloudiness is getting better.

I am reading the Nitrogen cycling at=rticle and thank you for that, as the whole site is a hive of info. Some way over my head but, some not.

Again many thanks. Glyn.

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Don't you just love the internet! I'm very thankful for the advice and love the fact that the replies come from all over N. America.

I have done a small 15% water change and did a strip test before and the NO3 was around 50 mg/l and the NO2 around 10 mg/l. I should get the ammonia checked tomorrow. On Monday the NO3 was in excess of 250 mg/l apparently, so that has come down and the NO2 has come down as well. I haven't added anymore Ammo Lock or Nitrate Minus and the cloudiness is getting better.

I am reading the Nitrogen cycling at=rticle and thank you for that, as the whole site is a hive of info. Some way over my head but, some not.

Again many thanks. Glyn.
Hello; I have refered to that article several times as well as some others. That one is long and involved but covers things well. Good luck

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
Glyn, I would recommend getting a liquid test kit. Liquid test kits are more expensive, but they are more accurate than test strips.
It is a good investment if your interested in keeping fish longterm. I suggest API's liquid test kit...great quality. Make sure to shake the bottles like crazy. :)

Here is the link you wanted to post skjl47...
Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle
Try hyper-linking a word rather than posting the direct link.

Last edited:

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; This will be an attempt to hyper-link. I have not done it before so am likely stumbling along. Thanks for doing the link in case my attempt fails.

Hello; Here is the link to an article about nitrogen and cycling. It is an involved read.

homerdog

Small Fish
Dec 19, 2012
malvern uk
Good morning people! The spirits have been lifted this dark morning, as no dead fish and they are all very active. In fact, the guppies are charging about and having a great time. There's one very happy little boy and his dad!

I will be getting a proper testing kit asap, as it would save time and a bit of chemistry would interest the little man. Anxiety levels would be reduced as well. Chase, will that kit you recommend be available over here or are there equally good ones?

Will keep things up to date and thanks again for all the advice. Glyn.

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
Glad to hear that everyone is doing so well! I don't know if API is sold in the UK.
There are many different brands API just happens to be my favorite.
I would imagine that any common fish brand would have a good quality liquid test kit.
The important thing is to get a liquid test kit, not brand. :) Pictures are always welcomed!!

homerdog

Small Fish
Dec 19, 2012
malvern uk
Hi People!

Good news and bad news.

The good news is that we haven't lost anymore fish. However, the bad news is that the Nitrate and Nitrite are at the top of the scale. Ammonia is around 1.8/2.0 before I did a small water change. The shop are at a loss as to why the Nitrite and Nitrate is still so high, as apparently the Nitrite should/could be reverting back to Ammonia but, it's not. I have dosed correctly with Nitrate minus and done a double dose of EasiLife again. Xmas Eve, I will do a 25% water change and then do another test on 27th. All fish are very happy and active, so we will hope for the best again.

Everyone have a Peaceful Xmas and God Bless.

Glyn.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
My suggestion is to continue to do 50% water changes daily until you get that ammonia and nitrite down to zero because any amount of either is deadly to fish. I am not familiar with the additives you are adding to try to do this, but good dechlorinated water is the key to getting it down there.