High Nitrates have me stumped

Daxster

Small Fish
Mar 12, 2011
Rochester, NY
I am shaking bottle number 2 30 seconds as directed, the instructions didn't say anything about shaking bottle number one. I also tried a test strip which looked like it was giving the same answer.

As far as feeding, I swear only once a day now, and not a lot! We even make sure there are no big flakes that fall to the bottom.

I also trimmed the plants in the tank to make sure there were no iffy leaves.

I can't understand it. I have to admit part of my frustration comes from the bad advice I feel we have gotten from the LFS which is supposed to be really good. I feel like we have been struggling since day 1 and we keep hearing different answers from different people LFS/Big Box/online searches. It's been 4 months I just want to have to stop being worried about the tank all the time. Kinda takes the fun out of it.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2010
Sicklerville, NJ
Are you using the API test? You should shake both bottles until your arm falls off, then use the other arm. Bottle 2 can get start to get solids in it and it will make the test useless unless you "shake it like a Polaroid picture" (That is Aak's line, credit given where credit is due)

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
Are you using the API test? You should shake both bottles until your arm falls off, then use the other arm. Bottle 2 can get start to get solids in it and it will make the test useless unless you "shake it like a Polaroid picture" (That is Aak's line, credit given where credit is due)
lol thought that was outkasts line :)

Daxster

Small Fish
Mar 12, 2011
Rochester, NY
No relief from Nitrates

Ok a week later after multiple 50% water changes, still have 40ppm Nitrates. Nitrites are at 0, Ammonia .25ppm, Ph 7.8(which is what it's been). We are not over feeding, I've checked AqAdvisor and my filtration is more than adequate and my tank is at 66% capacity(counting adult sizes and currently we have young fish)

I've read online that adding a bubbler or bubble wall would help. Is this true? We are desperate for relief from high nitrates and all these water changes.

PS. I have tested the tap water and the tap water after treating with dechlorinator, it's at 0.

Help!!! :(

Daxster

Small Fish
Mar 12, 2011
Rochester, NY
High Nitrates SOLVED!!!!!

Ok, so I feel like an idiot but at the same time relieved. After finding still hight nitrates again today, I went to add my Kent Marine Pro series Pro-plant liquid. I realized it was the last of the bottle and was checking it out to make sure I got the same one.

That is when I realized IT HAS NITRATES!!! I tested a tiny drop in clean tap water and sure enough that's what been making my test kit read for nitrates.

Are there different nitrates? Are these bad nitrates? Should I be using a different plant supplement?

Called Kent, no response yet.

Oct 29, 2010
Haha, great solving! Once your nitrates are down to an acceptable level, you can start adding the ferts again, but slowly, until you figure out how much you can put in without putting your levels off the charts :)