How long does a cycle take?

jbfootin

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I now have nitrites, but my ammonia does not seem to be dropping and I also have nitrates already. *celebrate I will keep you posted but I am thinking that it should level out soon now...I hope:eek:

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I'd think your ammonia should be dropping soon. Only reason it wouldn't may be if you're using Amquel or a product that says it makes ammonia go away, you could get a false positive on ammonia on your test results. Good deal that you have nitrates :) Keep up those water changes. Usually it takes about twice as long for the nitrites to drop as it does for the ammonia to drop.

jbfootin

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Update: Week 5

I still have amonia, nitrites and nitrates, and am still doing regular water changes to help the fish. They must be doing fine cuz last night I noticed that we had 2 baby guppies that have shown up. *celebrate All the fish seem healthy and happy but all of the levels are in the danger zone, even after a 20% water change. I am starting to think that the test strips are not real accurate, and will stop tonght to get some test tube type tests.

Ethree

New Fish
May 19, 2006
NJ
25 Gal. densly planted...
2 neon tetras
1 blue cobalt gourami
1 black molly
1 platinum molly
2 orange platy
2 neon swords
1 marigold sword