How long?

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
i have these 5 gallon jugs (like the ones used for gas) and i get them filled up every week from my lfs (alot of lf's around here do it) it only cost .25 a gallon for r/o and .50 a gallon for sw ;) you may wanna check on that....btw its a good exuse to go to the lfs every week

Seiryoku

Large Fish
Apr 5, 2006
Woodland, CA
Quick question while everyone is on the topic of water. My LFS, the only one, doesn't do much with saltwater and doesn't sell water at all. Would water from one of those "water stores" that sells water for .25c a gallon work? It is a small locally owned store so I can talk to the owner about his process if needed.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Yes in a pinch. I have been buying my water from the grocery store for the past year. I have small patches of cyano that I can't seem to get rid of and I think that I am going to invest in ro/di system from here

www.airwaterice.com Reefkeepers

I have heard good things about these guys and their prices are reasonable.

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
The only grievance I have about RO systems is that I can only use mine outside, and so during the colder months I'm lucky to get five gallons a day. I have to be home when I make water too, so I never have time for it.
The TDS of the water from the vending machines outside of my local supermarket is around 10 ppm, and I'm fine with that.

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I have the same issues during the winter months. Well, I haven't had a chance to test mine in the warmer months yet. I get about 1 gallon per hour right now. I tried the long tube inside a 5 gallon bucket with a heater, but that didn't do anything. In this cause you would need a booster pump that costs $150.

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
omg 4 months...i would be asking this questions after a month...

how much live rock do u have in there? and where did u get it from?

mine was cured instantly and was well worth $5 a lb...

do u have sand? it helps to cut down the cycling.

also heard that u should not do water changes. but watever will help

Flowerkid

Large Fish
Mar 12, 2006
i do waterchanges i dont know when i said i never do them but i do them but they dont make sense if my water has ammonia in it...also can someone answer my ro water question? All the questions you asked me are in my sig.

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
You can always add a DI stage down the road. Just the RO alone is better than using tap. Adding a DI stage is very easy. Without the DI stage you will probably not get as pure water as you would with one, but like I said it's better than using tap water. Your fish will thank you.