How many fish can I add to my 10g tank

nealio

Large Fish
Aug 23, 2006
Ok so after I found out my LFS is full of crap I'm actually wondering what type of fish, and how many I could add to my 10G tank. I'm reading into this and I'm learning there isn't much I can do with a 10g tank. The man at the LFS said I can fit about 15 fish in a 10g tank. I have a penguin mini with a bio wheel for a 20g tank, so he thinks I can add that many. I have serious doubts.

Right now I have three tetra, one molly, and two goldfish. Can and should I add any more fish to the tank?

I’m very interested in fresh water eels, would that be a possibility?

thanks!

tessalion

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2006
PA
Since your tank is still cycling, it would be best not to add any more fish until that is complete.

I left a post in your bleach thread about the goldfish :). There's actually quite a few things that you can do with a 10g, depending on exactly what you have in mind. Do you know what kind of tetra you have? If not, you can look in the freshwater fish profile section and look under charachin (sp?) to find out. If its not there maybe you can describe them or take a pic and someone could ID them for you. Tetras are a schooling fish, so the more the merrier (within tank size limits). I know very little about freshwater eels but im relatively certain they get too big to fit in a 10g.

nealio

Large Fish
Aug 23, 2006
tessalion said:
Since your tank is still cycling, it would be best not to add any more fish until that is complete.

I left a post in your bleach thread about the goldfish :). There's actually quite a few things that you can do with a 10g, depending on exactly what you have in mind. Do you know what kind of tetra you have? If not, you can look in the freshwater fish profile section and look under charachin (sp?) to find out. If its not there maybe you can describe them or take a pic and someone could ID them for you. Tetras are a schooling fish, so the more the merrier (within tank size limits). I know very little about freshwater eels but im relatively certain they get too big to fit in a 10g.
I got your response in the other thread, thanks *celebrate

I think I have this kind of tetra, it looks VERY similar, but not exact.

**edit: Im having problems posting the image. I think its an xray tetra**

I guess it looks like I"m going to have to buy a larger tank. I'm not too interested in the goldfish as much as some of the other fish available.

nealio

Large Fish
Aug 23, 2006
GIS Guy said:
I would suggest checking the PROFILES on this forum.
They provide great info on gallons required, adult size, temperment, etc.
Tetras and small barbs could possibly go in a 10g.
There are a few good combinations for you.

I'm doing that as we speak. Thanks for all your help again! *GOLDFISH*

tessalion

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2006
PA
You can also consider adding a few cories to your tank. If you get panda or pgymy cories you could get 6 or so. But don't add any fish until your tank finishes cycling.

nealio

Large Fish
Aug 23, 2006
tessalion said:
You can also consider adding a few cories to your tank. If you get panda or pgymy cories you could get 6 or so. But don't add any fish until your tank finishes cycling.
I wont, thanks for all your help. I'm going to go down to the fish store on the way home and get some of that stuff that helps the tank cycle.

How long does it usually take a tank to cycle with fish in it?

Does it help to have live plants or not? When I first got my tank I put some "goldfish plants" or so the guy called them in there, and they are doing great under my coral light. I had to trim them a couple times since I bought them. Do live plants help or cause more problems in situations like this?

And one more question, when you go to cycle or spring clean a tank you have had for a while, what do you do with your fish while you wait 2 to 3 weeks for the tank to be ready?

Aug 4, 2006
Alabama
I think 6 panda cories is too much for a 10g....they can be quite sensitive to water quality and they get 2 inches. I'd say 29g is the minimum for them. 10g tanks aren't as stable as bigger tanks.

I'd stick with a school of the tetras you have and a dwarf gourami or a male betta. Or the tetras and the molly, although I'm not sure they are happy being alone. Get 3 more tetras to bring the school up to 6. Take the goldfish back to the store....they will outgrow the tank.

Most FW eels get big....I'd get around a 55g if you want to keep one comfortably. Spiny eels, Peacock eels, and Tire track eels all get around 8 inches or more, I think. They also like to bury in the substrate (preferably sand), so the bigger tank the better. I certainly wouldn't put them in a 10g.

Oh and don't listen to any more of the information given by your LFS. :)

And one more question, when you go to cycle or spring clean a tank you have had for a while, what do you do with your fish while you wait 2 to 3 weeks for the tank to be ready?
You should never "spring clean" a tank. You cycle a tank when you first set it up to build up beneficial bacteria and then gravel vacuum and do water changes weekly. Never tear down a tank and wash everything unless you have some type of worm/bug invasion or some type of nasty disease.

Here are some articles that will explain the nitrogen cycle:
Nitrogen Cycle
Nitrogen cycle
One More time

Last edited:

nealio

Large Fish
Aug 23, 2006
JustOneMore20 said:
I think 6 panda cories is too much for a 10g....they can be quite sensitive to water quality and they get 2 inches. I'd say 29g is the minimum for them. 10g tanks aren't as stable as bigger tanks.

I'd stick with a school of the tetras you have and a dwarf gourami or a male betta. Or the tetras and the molly, although I'm not sure they are happy being alone. Get 3 more tetras to bring the school up to 6. Take the goldfish back to the store....they will outgrow the tank.

Most FW eels get big....I'd get around a 55g if you want to keep one comfortably. Spiny eels, Peacock eels, and Tire track eels all get around 8 inches or more, I think. They also like to bury in the substrate (preferably sand), so the bigger tank the better. I certainly wouldn't put them in a 10g.

Oh and don't listen to any more of the information given by your LFS. :)
Thanks for the help!

I'm gona wait on getting any more fish until I get a bigger one I think. If I take the goldfish back to the store, I'm going to have to replace them with something that looks similar. any suggestions?

tessalion

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2006
PA
nealio said:
I wont, thanks for all your help. I'm going to go down to the fish store on the way home and get some of that stuff that helps the tank cycle.

How long does it usually take a tank to cycle with fish in it?
Biospira, i believe basically instantaneously cycles your tank. It can be a bit pricey and hard to find. Just be sure to follow the instructions to a tee. Also, if the LFS that you're going too doesnt have the Biospira kept cold, dont get it because it won't be effective. Also, Biospira is designed to be used in a brand new tank, no ammonia, etc. to be most effective. What i would suggest doing is temporarily moving your fish to another container and doing a complete water change. Then add Biospira according to the directions.

Seachem Stability cycles a tank in 7 days, just add it to the tank with the fish currently in it.

OH and don't buy a product called "Cycle", it doesn't work.

Does it help to have live plants or not? When I first got my tank I put some "goldfish plants" or so the guy called them in there, and they are doing great under my coral light. I had to trim them a couple times since I bought them. Do live plants help or cause more problems in situations like this?
Live plants help. If the tank is heavily planted you might not even see the cycle. With only a few plants you'll see the cycle (as you obviously are) but they will still help because they consume some of the things that are toxic to the fish.

Spring cleaning a tank doesnt necessarily restart the cycle. The bacteria mainly resides on your filter media and on the substrate. So as long as you keep those wet (in a seperate bucket with old tank water, the chlorine in tap water will kill the bacteria) you won't lose the bacteria your cycle created. You might see a small mini cycle, but that should only last a few days.

JOM, i forgot that panda cories got to 2 in, for some reason i had it stuck in my head that they were the same size as pygmys.

Aug 4, 2006
Alabama
I'm gona wait on getting any more fish until I get a bigger one I think. If I take the goldfish back to the store, I'm going to have to replace them with something that looks similar. any suggestions?
How about a small gourami...I know you can find honey gouramis, but probably not gold dwarf gouramis. There are gold gouramis, but they get too large for your tank.

I'm not really sure what else you could replace them with. The size of the tank really limits your stocking choices. If you want a gourami (dwarf or honey), I'd take the molly back too. I think mollies like company and with the dwarf gourami, things could get crowded with both fish reaching around 2 inches. I'd choose either the molly or the dwarf or honey gourami and then get 3 more tetras of the same type.

And when it comes to plants, I'd research them too. Alot of plants need medium-high lighting. You may have a good bulb, but its probably low watts if it is the stock fixture. Plants can really help speed up a cycle, but if you get some that need higher lighting than you have, you could end up with a tank full of dead plants and that will raise your ammonia. Research before you buy, so you won't have any problems. See what kind of plants your LFS has and ask about them in the aquatic plant forum.

Last edited:

Endl98

Large Fish
Jul 26, 2006
long island , new york
i have a 10 g and beside the angels . (that can get to big for the tank.) the fish are doing fine. i have had no bad spikes . i really dont like small fish.(under 2 inches) but 1 or 2 dwarf gouramis and a school of small tetras is very nice. heck if the angels didnt grow so big id keep my tank the way it is.

problem is i like to many fish and want them all. thats why im setting up 2 more tanks. with a couple of center pieces and a school or 2.

so 2 small 2 inch fish and a small school. maybe a cat. to me would work. others here might say its over stocked.

LFs did the same to me. told me i can fit a boat load of fish in my 10g. also told me " the fish will only grow to the tanks limit" WRONG.

id like to know about the eels as well. and the goldfish , might be to toxic for the rest of the tank.

Last edited:

tessalion

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2006
PA
Endl98 said:
i have a 10 g and beside the angels . (that can get to big for the tank.) the fish are doing fine. i have had no bad spikes . i really dont like small fish.(under 2 inches) but 1 or 2 dwarf gouramis and a school of small tetras is very nice. heck if the angels didnt grow so big id keep my tank the way it is.

problem is i like to many fish and want them all. thats why im setting up 2 more tanks. with a couple of center pieces and a school or 2.

so 2 small 2 inch fish and a small school. maybe a cat. to me would work. others here might say its over stocked.
i wouldnt try 2 dwarf gouramis in a tank that size. I'd be worried about territory/aggression issues, plus it would be slightly overstocked.

Aug 4, 2006
Alabama
I agree with tessalion, I kept 2 dwarf gouramis in a 10g when I first started keeping fish. I didn't know any better. :) They fought all the time and finally the stronger one bullied the weaker one to death. I suggest you just get 1 dwarf gourami or keep the molly and then get more tetras.

If you want to keep more fish, get a bigger tank....that's what I do! There are so many different fish, so you have to get more than one tank to keep all the ones you want.

And Endl98, your 10g is definitely overstocked. Get those angels out of there as soon as you can...before they get stunted. Angels have no business in a 10g...except when they are small fry.

nealio

Large Fish
Aug 23, 2006
JustOneMore20 said:
How about a small gourami...I know you can find honey gouramis, but probably not gold dwarf gouramis. There are gold gouramis, but they get too large for your tank.

I'm not really sure what else you could replace them with. The size of the tank really limits your stocking choices. If you want a gourami (dwarf or honey), I'd take the molly back too. I think mollies like company and with the dwarf gourami, things could get crowded with both fish reaching around 2 inches. I'd choose either the molly or the dwarf or honey gourami and then get 3 more tetras of the same type.

And when it comes to plants, I'd research them too. Alot of plants need medium-high lighting. You may have a good bulb, but its probably low watts if it is the stock fixture. Plants can really help speed up a cycle, but if you get some that need higher lighting than you have, you could end up with a tank full of dead plants and that will raise your ammonia. Research before you buy, so you won't have any problems. See what kind of plants your LFS has and ask about them in the aquatic plant forum.
Thanks for your help guys!

As for the dwarf gournami's I'm gona wait a bit until I can get a larger tank. I found a couple 30 gallon tanks on craigslist for $30 brand new in the box. Hopefully they aren't gone yet. Once I get the new tank up and running Ill start to add more fish. I will get the other three tetras today though.

As for the tank? I woke up this morning and it was crystal clear. I don’t know if it was that stuff I got at the fish store, or if the bacteria started to build up, either way, all of the fish are looking very happy and the water is back to normal. Best of all, no dead fish! *celebrate

As for the plants, can you recommend something for me? I have two 50 watt coral life lights that are compact florescent. They REALLY light up the tank. I had that gold fish plant (that’s what the guy at the fish store called it) and it really went crazy once I put the bulbs in. I had to cut it down a couple times now. I wanted add a couple different types of plants to offset so much of that gold fish plant.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

DclownD

Large Fish
Jul 11, 2006
Syracuse, Ny
i disagrea on the pet stores dont hire ppl who know fish... the head fish lady at my local petland seems to know alot about fish.. and i over heard a guy talking to her asking about HER 300gal tank and she responded yes i still have it up and running >.> wonder how much she gets paid lol

GIS Guy

Superstar Fish
Feb 18, 2004
East-Central Illinois
Visit site
There are always exceptions in pet shops.
By no means do all lfs employees know nothing.
But many employees know little about what they are actually trying to sell.

On Saturday I want to an lfs that only sells sw/fw & birds.
The employee there was extremely knowledgable!