How many fish can I add to my 10g tank

DclownD

Large Fish
Jul 11, 2006
Syracuse, Ny
lol i went to petsmart yesterday and wish i brought a marker to fix the info on there cards it said a chinese high finned shark is good in a 30g tank o_O

Aug 4, 2006
Alabama
There are exceptions to LFS employees. Some are very helpful. The person that gave the poster info wasn't very knowledgable.

Wow 30g tanks for $30...thats a good deal! Hopefully you can get them!

So you have 100 watts over that 10g? That is a huge invitation for algae! I'd only use one bulb and then get some type of CO2 setup along with some plants. You can make a DIY setup...just google DIY CO2. Light will not be a problem, but the size plants grow will. I'd get alot of fast growers though, just to outcompete algae. Some good plants are Bacopa caroliniana, Moneywort, Ludwigia, Echinodorous tennellus (foreground plant), crypts, anubias, Hygro (will grow really fast). Head over to the Aquatic plant forum for more help. There are probably some folks on here that have high light 10g tanks (or close to that). Plant choice is a bit harder when the tank is smaller.

I really suggest you only use one 50w bulb. You will have a tank full of algae soon...especially with only one plant. Even 5wpg is high light...10wpg is an overkill!

Could you post a picture of that plant so we can ID it? I've never heard of a "goldfish" plant, so I'm interested in knowing what it is. :)

nealio

Large Fish
Aug 23, 2006
JustOneMore20 said:
There are exceptions to LFS employees. Some are very helpful. The person that gave the poster info wasn't very knowledgable.

Wow 30g tanks for $30...thats a good deal! Hopefully you can get them!

So you have 100 watts over that 10g? That is a huge invitation for algae! I'd only use one bulb and then get some type of CO2 setup along with some plants. You can make a DIY setup...just google DIY CO2. Light will not be a problem, but the size plants grow will. I'd get alot of fast growers though, just to outcompete algae. Some good plants are Bacopa caroliniana, Moneywort, Ludwigia, Echinodorous tennellus (foreground plant), crypts, anubias, Hygro (will grow really fast). Head over to the Aquatic plant forum for more help. There are probably some folks on here that have high light 10g tanks (or close to that). Plant choice is a bit harder when the tank is smaller.

I really suggest you only use one 50w bulb. You will have a tank full of algae soon...especially with only one plant. Even 5wpg is high light...10wpg is an overkill!

Could you post a picture of that plant so we can ID it? I've never heard of a "goldfish" plant, so I'm interested in knowing what it is. :)
thanks for all your replies!

ok so I was mistaken, its not a 50w light. they are 50/50 lights 10w each. I guess they have 50/50 Compact Fluorescent Bulb that has two diffrent light types. I had two incandecent (sp) bulbs before and they were horrible. SO I have a total of 20w on the 10g tank. Sorry for the confusion I"m still a noob when it comes to this stuff. :confused:

At lunch time today I went to another store a bit farther than the other LFS to pick up the other three tetras, and an amazon plant. I asked the guy there (he seemed like he knew more than the other guy at the other store) and he said it would fit the tank nicely. please tell me I didn't just buy something wrong.
here is a pic of it

As for the plants that I had previously here is a pic. I googled "gold fish plants" and saw a pic. Its called Anacharis:

again, thanks for all your help

p.s. for good deals on used tanks go to:

craigslist

Just type in "Fish Tank" in the search and tons will pop up. OH you have to select your local area too.

p.p.s. That guy that had the two 30g tanks hasn't responded to me yet. I hope there not gone :(

tessalion

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2006
PA

nealio

Large Fish
Aug 23, 2006
tessalion said:
I think the plant you bought today is an amazon sword. Here's a link to some info about it.

Amazon Sword - Echinodorus amazonicus

And here's a link to the DIY CO2 that JOM mentioned
http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/do-yourself/11687-making-diy-c02-unit-c02-mixture-article.html

With the lighting on your tank being 2wpg you probably dont need CO2 but you could use it if you wanted to. Look through the planted section of the forum, theres tons of helpful (albeit sometimes confusing) info there.

Thanks for the help!

Yeah I'm gona try that DIY Co2 thing this weekend. The tank is sitting on my kitchen counter so I don't know where I would put it, but its worth a shot.

Does it really work if I just drill a hole in my inlet to my penguin? or should I try to build a fuser?

BTW, whats a 2wpg?

tessalion

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2006
PA
2wpg= 2 watts per gallon

I havent done it myself yet (still saving up the money to buy everything i need for my planted tanks), hopefully one of the really smart plant experts will come around.

Aug 4, 2006
Alabama
Well if both bulbs are 50/50...they are made for saltwater tanks and aren't really great for plants. 50/50 bulbs only have about 50% of light that is useable for plants, so instead of 2 watts per gallon (which you would have if you had a bulb in the range that plants use), you really only have 1 watt per gallon, which is low light. The sword plant could really use more light. And you don't have to have CO2 with that light. Its very complicating...even for me and I'm not a beginner.

The best range of bulbs for plants is 6000K-10000K. I believe your bulbs would be over 10000K, since they are used over saltwater tanks. Are they screw in bulbs? If so, you can buy 6500K compact fluorescents at Walmart in the light section and can get 15w-25w bulbs for around $8. If you want to increase your lighting (and have screw-in bulbs), that is the way to go! Then you could get your DIY CO2 fired up and get more plants. Make sure the bulbs say Daylight on them. The brand I have is Lights of America.

nealio

Large Fish
Aug 23, 2006
JustOneMore20 said:
Well if both bulbs are 50/50...they are made for saltwater tanks and aren't really great for plants. 50/50 bulbs only have about 50% of light that is useable for plants, so instead of 2 watts per gallon (which you would have if you had a bulb in the range that plants use), you really only have 1 watt per gallon, which is low light. The sword plant could really use more light. And you don't have to have CO2 with that light. Its very complicating...even for me and I'm not a beginner.

The best range of bulbs for plants is 6000K-10000K. I believe your bulbs would be over 10000K, since they are used over saltwater tanks. Are they screw in bulbs? If so, you can buy 6500K compact fluorescents at Walmart in the light section and can get 15w-25w bulbs for around $8. If you want to increase your lighting (and have screw-in bulbs), that is the way to go! Then you could get your DIY CO2 fired up and get more plants. Make sure the bulbs say Daylight on them. The brand I have is Lights of America.

The bulbs I bought are 50% 10k daylight and 50% Actinic 03 Blue. They are screw-in self ballasted compact florescent bulbs at 10w each. *SUNSMILE* They say they put as much light as a 50w incandescent bulb each.

Will that work?

I'm going to work on the DIY set-up on Sunday so Ill let you know how it goes. I'm kinda hesitant to drill a hole in the intake of my penguin, but I have a old filter I was thinking about modifying to act as a fuser. Hopefully it will work. *thumbsup2

I'm thinking about setting it up to pull some water without a filter cartridge directly into the intake of that filter intake and spit it out the top. What I don’t understand is how the Co2 stays in the water as it spills out of the canister filter into the tank. Wouldn't it dissipate out of the water as it spilled into the tank?

I think that might be the question for the plan forum.

Thanks for all your help everyone!

Aug 4, 2006
Alabama
The bulbs I bought are 50% 10k daylight and 50% Actinic 03 Blue. They are screw-in self ballasted compact florescent bulbs at 10w each. They say they put as much light as a 50w incandescent bulb each.

Will that work?
Plants don't really use the Actinic light...it is higher than the spectrum of light that they use....so only 50% of the light put out from that bulb is useable to plants. Therefore you don't count it as 2 watts per gallon, instead it is 1 watt per gallon. The 10000K daylight half is useable. If possible, I'd try to get 2 all 10000K bulbs (not 50%). Anywhere from around 6500K to 10000K is good for plants. If you want to grow plants that are classified as medium light plants (most swords, most stem plants), I'd get 2 full daylight bulbs. Always check the Kelvin (K) rating on bulbs...I've noticed some "plant" bulbs are out of the spectrum. Go for 2 that say daylight.

You can get 6500K screw in compact fluorescents at Walmart...they are labelled as "daylight" bulbs and found in the lighting dept.

Last edited:

nealio

Large Fish
Aug 23, 2006
JustOneMore20 said:
Plants don't use the Acitinic light...it is higher than the spectrum of light that they use....so only 50% of the light put out from that bulb is useable to plants. Therefore you don't count it as 2 watts per gallon, instead it is 1 watt per gallon. The 10000K daylight half is useable. If possible, I'd try to get 2 all 10000K bulbs (not 50%). Anywhere from around 6500K to 10000K is good for plants. If you want to grow plants that are classified as medium light plants (most swords, most stem plants), I'd get 2 full daylight bulbs. Always check the Kelvin (K) rating on bulbs...I've noticed some plant bulbs are out of the spectrum.

You can get 6500K screw in compact fluorescents at Walmart...they are labelled as "daylight" bulbs and found in the lighting dept.
*SUNSMILE* yeah but the blue is so pretty! *SUNSMILE*

Do those lights your talking about have a blue type of light? Or is the reg type of light?

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
No, cuz you use co2 with high light, and those bulbs have a very low level of light that is actually usable to plants. Maybe you can swap them for some more appropriate bulbs if you know anyone who runs fresh and salt tanks.

Aug 4, 2006
Alabama
I'm not sure that it won't help...I know its not necessary though. It won't hurt, but may be more trouble than its worth. It will have some benefit to the plants, but probably not noticeable (like more growth).

Sorry! Alot of people make the mistake of getting 50/50 and actinic bulbs...thinking the higher spectrum of light will be great for plants. Its not until you research that you find out the truth. And the LFS doesn't help either...they probably sell alot of those bulbs to people with plants. :)\

The ones at Walmart are $8 for a pack of 2...so not too expensive. I understand that you just bought those and probably paid alot more than $8.

nealio

Large Fish
Aug 23, 2006
JustOneMore20 said:
I'm not sure that it won't help...I know its not necessary though. It won't hurt, but may be more trouble than its worth. It will have some benefit to the plants, but probably not noticeable (like more growth).

Sorry! Alot of people make the mistake of getting 50/50 and actinic bulbs...thinking the higher spectrum of light will be great for plants. Its not until you research that you find out the truth. And the LFS doesn't help either...they probably sell alot of those bulbs to people with plants. :)\

The ones at Walmart are $8 for a pack of 2...so not too expensive. I understand that you just bought those and probably paid alot more than $8.
It was $20 for both. I think I'm going to wait until I get my bigger tank to spend more money on lighting. Do you think its enough lighting not to kill the plants?:confused:

Aug 4, 2006
Alabama
Do you think its enough lighting not to kill the plants
The two plants you have should be fine. I'd pick up some root tab fertilizers for the amazon sword, to give it some extra nutrients. They are heavy rooters and will eventually outgrow the tank. By the time you have a bigger tank, it will be ready to move. The anacharis should be fine in that tank.

If you want anymore plants I'd get some java fern and anubias. They do well in low light.

Avalon

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Worth, TX
www.davidressel.com
I'm confused on the lighting: nealio, you say you have 50/50 bulbs at 10w a piece? I've never seen compact flourescent lights of that low wattage that are 50/50. Secondly, I don't think Wal-Mart screw in bulbs are going to fit here. I've never seen a spiral cf 50/50 bulb. Can you take a pic of your lighting please?

Furthermore, the 50/50 certainly won't kill your plants or anything, but it's not the best spectrum. It will work if that's all your budget allows for. Bulbs are typically pretty cheap for lower wattages, so maybe a trade w/ minimal investment might work for you. But in the meantime, I don't think your lighting will become a lethal problem for your plants.

That sword plant, Echinodorus bleheri (not amazonicus, lol--not laughing at you tessa, just at the site), will get big, especially with high light and CO2. But it's a nice plant. I've grown many in 10g's, and just toss them when they get too big.

I'd still like to get this lighting thing solved though...

nealio

Large Fish
Aug 23, 2006
Avalon said:
I'm confused on the lighting: nealio, you say you have 50/50 bulbs at 10w a piece? I've never seen compact flourescent lights of that low wattage that are 50/50. Secondly, I don't think Wal-Mart screw in bulbs are going to fit here. I've never seen a spiral cf 50/50 bulb. Can you take a pic of your lighting please?
Coralife 10W Mini Compact Fluorescent 50/50

and here is the LINK

They have a 20w thats a little bit longer (9") but I think that would be too bright. I plan on getting a bigger tank next month, so Ill upgrade the lighting then.

Thanks for all your help!! *SUPERSMIL