how to grow button yellow polyps

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
looks like youve got some algae (cyano) covering the polyps that arnt open.... you shouild try and blow the algae off with either a turkey baster or powerhead or something... than you should figure out what is causing the algae otherwise itll just come right back

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
btw kahluazz yes your picture is of "yellow polyps" but thats not what crackman has... his look like yellow zoanthids which are polyps but not yellow polpys :p

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
nitrates and phosphates are the reason... has nothing to do with how high in the tank they are... more flow wouldnt hurt either... how often are you doing water changes? are you using r/o water for your top offs and water changes?

CRACKERMAN

Medium Fish
Mar 30, 2009
actully .....there is no conrol over phos...nitrate
however i made a droping system on a net where phos and nitrate will be collected
and my crabs are doing good job on eating those algae

CRACKERMAN

Medium Fish
Mar 30, 2009
water change is the best option ....
actully iordered a bunch of algaes ...hope they will do superb in these conditions...
high phos and nitrate...
but looks like custom people will stop me from getting those if they see
actully i am importing them ...

Feb 25, 2008
Savage, MN
What do you mean you have no control over phosphates and nitrates? What do you think water changes are for. Do not use tap water, which is full of phosphates. If you are feeding anything, do not overfeed. Make sure you have plenty of flow in your tank and no dead spots. That will help keep your cyano down. Also don't keep your lights on all the time. No more thatn 8 hours a day at the most. If you have cyano and algae outbreaks, cut the light down even more. It feeds off of light too. BTW, your zoas are not looking better at all. Just cause you have a few that are half open doesn't mean they are doing good.

Feb 25, 2008
Savage, MN
Look at the picture. These are what healthy Zoanthids look like. These were in my 20 gallon tank. When I bought them they had maybe 6-8 heads on the frag. This is after about a month. After six months, the colony increased about 10 times larger.

CRACKERMAN

Medium Fish
Mar 30, 2009
Yeah i think to much light.......you are right

cyno is causing these algae .....

I will do 75% water change on coming sunday

cheers and happy christmas ...all myfishtank.net .....people