How to protect babies from getting sucked into filter

Jayrod7

Large Fish
Dec 1, 2005
Omaha, Nebraska
how do i protect my baby guppy fry (planning for future) from getting sucked in to the filter
here are what some people have said from books and on forum can you explain then cause i do not know what they mean

1) cover filter intake
2) bubble filter (!?!?!?!?)

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Both work.

Sponge filters are nice. Specially when your tank count grows to large numbers and you want to conserve energy. 1 big air pump pushing many sponge filters is cheaper than running multiple filters.

Using a rubber band and moms pantyhose (when she isn't looking) fasten the pantyhose around the intake to keep the babies from becoming minced filter chowder. The rubber bands will rot over time so checking them every now and then and replacing them is needed. You can also use fishing line.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I've never had a problem with fry getting sucked into a filter intake, they swim better than you think they do! An intake doesn't usually have that strong a current, unless your filter is rated for a much larger tank.

Sponge filters are great for fry tanks if you plan on having a breeding setup.

PlecoCollector

Superstar Fish
Aug 21, 2005
Clinton, NY
I had problem with pantyhose because they got REALLY dirty. And I don't mean dirty in a week; I mean dirty in like 5 minutes.
I've only lost one fry to the filter, and he could have been sick for all I know.
You shouldn't have much of a problem, especially with such a small tank filter :)