How to...

angelmom

Large Fish
Dec 19, 2005
Vernon, CT
CAPSLOCK said:
Rinse the crap out of it, and if it still really clouds up your tank when you add it do a 100% water change, and it'll fill back up clear :)
I have 2 tanks with sand in them. The first one was a little cloudy but not a lot because we rinsed the heck out of it. I tired the pillow case method once but it didn't work as well as taking it out side in a 20g storage tub and running the hose through it for about 20 minutes or so. You have to stick the hose down into the sand and stir it all up while your rinsing it. That seems to work best.

Then as Caps said if your water is cloudy as your filling it drain the water not the sand and refill it. That worked awesome and my tank doesn't get cloudy when I do water changes.

usacutie81

Large Fish
Sep 6, 2006
St Louis
Yeah, that's what I was going to recommend. After adding the sand just do a largish water change and then you'll be putting clean water back in. It'll still be a little bit cloudy, but not so bad that the filter won't be able to handle it in a few hours.

usacutie81

Large Fish
Sep 6, 2006
St Louis
Just stack the rocks OUTSIDE the tank first, see where you want to place them, then glue them together. I don't know what glue you use, I'm sure someone on MFT can tell you, especially the SW guys. That way the rocks won't slide off each other and the cichlids won't knock them down.