I am sad to say....

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I would rethink this. Unless you ewally can sell every thing , resetting up as fresh will jsut cost you more money...

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
Well, I am just saying, if planned correctly you can do a nice tank that requires very little maintenance, I am in grad-school, and I have time for a SW tank, you should to with the right planning.

Feb 28, 2005
Waterford, CA
URRR, well here are my complaints.

ok. hair algea, green algea, is groing everywere. And the only way to stop that is water changes right?? My freekin temp is spiking in the day everyday, crabs are dying. well tell me what you guys think about the hai algea, I will post a recint pick of the tank.

And to rocking, well give me a little to talk to these guys on here If the talk me out of it then sorry. lol.

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
well you could get a black spine urchin, they should help with your algae problem, just make sure your rocks are steady, and don't expect them to not eat your coraline either. but tis the price you pay.maybe move the tank to the basement? your in AZ, I can't believe that you dont have AC.... so maybe move it very near an AC unit?

Jul 29, 2005
Sunny Cali & Rainy England
No worries Yamaha. I would prefer you have a successful tank raher than me stealing all your hard earned live rock *PEACE!* If you change your mind though.....

As you know I'm new to salt, but one thing I've noticed from your pictures which could be contributing to an algae problem, is the location of your tank. It looks like it is next to a window which could mean the tank is getting too much light. This could also explain the fluctuating temps.
Just a thought mate.

Aresgod, Yamaha is in CA.

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
thats right dbacks is in AZ, I find natural sunlight actually helps my tank, you just have to make sure you have no phosphate or nitrate and your corals will really thrive. I try to open the windows when my tank is in direct sun.

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
yeah I love AZ--the weather here is good 2 months outta the whole year--my tank hovers at a beautiful 85 degrees (max) in an AC'd, fanned room that gets a nice afternoon sunset

so what exactly would a low maintenance tank be? I'm a senior in high school this year, and I don't know what I'm doing next: community college (ouch) or maybe the Army (and then college)? Right now, my tank is pretty much low maintenance...I have some good coralline growth, but there are definetly some patches of hair algae that are outta control

Feb 28, 2005
Waterford, CA
well, the window never gets opens execpt at night, and we do have AC just not down in my room wich is the basment, lol. my room gets just under 80, the I think my light top it off for my giving me a temp at about 83-84. and I leave my window open at night to let cool are in but my heater sux so if it get to cold the heated does not kick on till like 75 or so..... But I will start a new thread and new pictures tomoraw or sat. so.. see you guys in that one.