I have a 29 gal. and i am going to be turning it into salt water

Oct 26, 2005
Hey i need help finding out what i need for a 29 gal. salt water tank. I started off as a fresh water tank and now want to change to a salt water reef . I am clueless what to get. Can you please help me.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2005
Sunny Cali & Rainy England
Hey SWNoob,
To begin with you are certainly going to want a protein skimmer, and if you are trying for a reef aquarium then you are going to need live rock. There are sticky threads on each of these at the top of the SW forum. There is also another sticky called 'Things you will need when starting a saltwater aquarium' which you will no doubt find useful.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2005
thanks..now what about lighting do i need a brighter bulb? Also should i get a power head and how much live rock do i need for a 29g or a 35g and do i need a different filter for saltwater than freshwater say a aquaclear filter. Is a normal heater fine for a 35g or a 29g reef?

Last edited:

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
A normal heater is fine. Get at least one biggish powerhead, and you're looking for 20, 30 lbs of decent quality rock, more if you get Florida aquacultured.
Read the stickies?

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
Oct 26, 2005
Thank you. now if i where to get Anemone how many should i get say for a 29g or 35g reef and will they sting u if u touch them and also how many clown fish should i get. Also does it really matter if one fish is from the indian ocean and the other is from the caribbean? And should i buy coral or rocks and stuff.

Last edited:

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
SWnoob22, you need to slooooooooooow dooooooooown. You are a long way from being ready for anything alive, let alone anemones.

How about we take a new approach here: Why don't you make a list of your plans for the equipment (skimmer, powerheads, etc) for the setup and we can make sure things seem to be in order there. After you get that squared away we can look at live rock and your clean up crew. From there we will look at what fish and other inverts you want and we can look into lighting, etc.

the way you are aproaching this is going to lead to disaster

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
saltwaternoob22 said:
lol i was just saying i wanted to get 3 clown fish 2 femals and 1 male and look into getting two Anemone for them

thats the last step man, you gotta start with number 1... plan your stuff out.

Like Camaro said slow down, patience is the key to a succesful tank. First off decide on the tank, and then compile a list of the necassary equipment that you will be using (skimmer, heater, salt, ect) list it on here and we'll go from there. You will work your way up to those fish, and when the time comes your tank will be ready, but only if you plan it out.

Oct 26, 2005
ok i got a 35g tank i want to make it into a reef....i know what to get its just i need to know what makers are the best. Any brand u think i should get?

Here is a list of what i should get

1. Salt

2. live rock

3. skimmer

4.new bulb

5. new filter(Mabe if an aquaclear doesnt work]

6.power head

7.heater(already got)

Am i missing any thing

ram man

Superstar Fish
Apr 16, 2005
Arizona
your not alone im 14, like Occfan said plan! you wont need a filter with the live rock. the live rock will do the filtering if you have the power head to move water.

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
We dont need to PM its better if we disucss this in the forum so everyone can see it and give there input (becasue theres ALOT more expierenced salties on here than me), ill try my best to help though

Hmm 300$ budget for a 35, this should be interesting. Do you already have the tank or is a 29 still a possibility?

1) Kent is a good brand for salt

2) You want high quality live rock, but that will be expensive. What you may want to do is buy some cheap base rock (5-10lbs), then buy as much high quality live rock as you can (20-25lbs) and then over time the rock will seed in the base rock turning it into live rock.

3) Aqua-C Remora is a great brand http://www.proteinskimmer.com/products/Remora.htm
but may be hard to do with that budget.

4) What type of fizture do you have now?

5) The live rock with alot of water movement and the skimmer is your filter

6) I use Hagen Aquaclear powerheads

You will also be needing:
hydrometer
thermometer
test kits