I have a 29 gal. and i am going to be turning it into salt water

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
I would say 500$ is a much more realistic budget for a 35 reef, FOWLR is a different story. Your looking at 200$ for a skimmer, 25$ for sand, and 150-300$ for LR depending on how much and what kind. Also you will need lighting and powerheads. What do you have for lighting right now?
Also this isnt even including any livestock. So reefs aren't something that you want to get into if your looking to not spend money. FOWLR is a different story.

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Salt..well Instant Ocean, Reef Crystals, Coralife, Seachem and Kent are known and good IMO...the only bad reviews i heard/read of were the Ocean Pure and mostly Red Sea mixes.

Light and porous live rock is great, also you can mix with base rock.

Yep the Remora skimmer is the choice of many.

Lighting depend on what you wanna keep.

Live rock + skimmer = the choice ..no filter needed except if you already have one and want to create water movement.

Oct 26, 2005
yes i do i have a 35g and 29g dad just gave his to me. i have no clue what the bulb for the 35g is and i know i need a brighter one. What type of bulb should i get for a 35g reef. Also i dont have to buy a filter if i get a power head, skimmer,and live rock?

Last edited:

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
correct, no filter if you have powerheads(plural) and a skimmer and LR. on a 35 gallon your gonna want atleast a 150 Watts, whats the footprint of the tank? A metal halide pendant would work really well and you could keep most anything you want.

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
aresgod said:
A metal halide pendant would work really well and you could keep most anything you want.
that may be hard with the budget, but that would be a awsome ooption if you can swing it.

I would suggest useing the 29 since your on the budget your on..

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
aresgod said:
well I am sure he could get a metal halide 150W pendant for like 150$ by DIY methods.

o, I never knew you could get a metal halide for that cheap, but thats because Im the last person to ever attempt a DIY project, because Id end up spending an extra 300 on the parts I broke during assembly ahah