I just bought this incredible betta!

Sandtiger

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Simi Valley, CA
I bought this INCREDIBLE betta over the internet this weekend! He's a short-finned blue Plakat. (Did I spell that right?) He was part of a pair but my friend, Andrea, got the female (Who is very purple by the way) since we're going to start breeding them. This guy is very, very bright blue and his dorsal fin has a creasent-moon shape on the top edge of it. While I'm on the subject, does anyone have a good name for a vivid blue male betta? I thought I'd ask because I coulden't think of any names worthy of him.

P.S. Sorry there aren't any pictures:eek:. I still don't have my digital camera!

Last edited:

Sandtiger

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Simi Valley, CA
I got my fish!!! *celebrate :D They finally arrived today very,very late. They were supposed to be here on Wednesday or Thursday, oh well. And guess what, with the order I got a FREE FISH!!!!! :D :D It's this cute little red male betta with shiny blue-white sides. Now that I have two fish instead of one, does anyone have a good name for the red male. I was thinking maybe Posiden after the Greek god of the sea but if you have any ideas let me know.

P.S. I named the blue male Cerulian and Andrea named her copper female Amphritie after the Greek goddess of the sea.

Leopardess

Superstar Fish
Cool:)

If you like the Greek Mythology names...you could name it Ares (air-eez). He's the God of War - plus his Roman name is Mars...and the planet mars is red like him).

Or, you could use the name Hephaestus (hef-ess-stus) who was the god of fire (and crafts...like blacksmiths). Fire is red. Hephaestus limped and was "lame" though....His Roman name is Vulcan, which is also cool.

Otherwise, you could follow the lead of Cerulean (named after his color):
Synonyms for red:
cerise (french for cherry)
Russet
henna

Last edited:

Sandtiger

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Simi Valley, CA
Gouramis come from the same family as bettas, the labrynth fish. Their call that because they have an organ behind their gills that's rich in red blood vessels so they can breath air, air as well as the oxagyn in the water. In fact, they have to breath air every now and then or they'll drown.

Sandtiger

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Simi Valley, CA
My bettas died!!! :( :( And I have no idea why! :( I put Cerulian in my main tank and I put Ares in a mason jar and the next day he was dead
:( :(!!! The day after that I noticed that Cerulian had some brown and white spots (not ich or velvet, BTW) so I took him out to treat him. I put him another jar a then next day he was dead too!!! :( Does any one have any idea about what might have caused him to *sob* die? Annie's female is still healthy so we're still going to breed her with Annies other betta who's a veiltail. (We're going to make our own strain.) Are we on to something or will this just make a mess?? I can't belive I lost my fish!!! :(

Jul 13, 2005
why did you get the free fish? they could have been clearing out some not-so-healthy fish? Also, the female would have been kept in a separate tank, so that doesnt nessasarily mean that just because your friends fish is healthy, yours were. But that still doesnt explain why the other male died, unless people who sold you the fish keep the males in the same tank with dividers, thus sharing the same water and the same parasite/virus/ammonia/hp, ect.

Sandtiger

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Simi Valley, CA
The pictures showed the male and female in the same tank witha divider. And no, I don't know why I got a free fish, maybe the guy said "I have to get rid of this fish,I know! I'll stick it this order." Now, for some happier news. We put Jaws ( the female) and Admiral, (Annie's male) in the breeding tank together to day! *thumbsup2 At first Admiral had no idea what to do with himself but then he decided to sart flaring, tthe chase was on! He started chasing her around the tank with her coyly leading him on. She hid a few times behind the corner filter/air pump and he was trying like crazy to get back there. Then she started chasing him, trying to get him intrested. He has made a few "improvements" to his bubble nest and she has become enen more intrested. We justed added some anti-fungus since they seem very close to mating. Jaws thought is was food and was playing in it, Admiral couldn't care less. Jaws is now prowling the surfavce for food and Admiral has managed to get behind the filter, managing to get himself very stuck. I will give further updateds (with pictures) soon.

-Sandtiger

Sandtiger

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Simi Valley, CA
There has been a succesful spawning of the bettas. A large bubble nest has been compiled under the styrafome cup half in the breeding tank. The father has been ripped to shreds by Jaws (He only has half a tail left after she beat on him.) but he's beeing a good dad. His favorite pastime is taking the eggs in his mouth, coating them with spit, and making them float. I'm really excited!! :D I can't wait for the babies to get here!!

Sandtiger

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Simi Valley, CA
The babies are so cute!! They've really grown, they're about the size of a comma. It's really fun seeing them eat, they just pounce on the food and then sit there like fat blobs after they've eaten. They don't have color yet but we think we have an albino one. He's totally transparent, the only way you can see him is to look for his eyes. I can't wait 'till they're older and have color, then I can have my own breeding pair!! *BOUNCINGS

sapphire

Medium Fish
Aug 3, 2005
mississippi
OH my how I would love to learn more and breed some betas! Guess since I'm new here and fish keeping I'll have to read more......how expensive is shipping on fish? I read one place it was 24.95 per shipment!
thanks in advance, Sapphire :)

Sandtiger

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Simi Valley, CA
I got another betta today!. He's really beautiful. His body is white except for his head, which is a light salmony color, the fin edges clostest to his body are a very dark bluemand the rest of his fins are pale white to clear. I named him chance because he's like y second chance at keeping bettas.
I also got a rubber-lipped plec. I named him Hoover becase, well, you can proably guess.