I need guppy help...

Feb 4, 2011
Australia
I see where you are all coming from now.
Yes, i will definitely set aside time to change the water daily then. i am still uneasy with the whole 'just dump the water in' thing, but i guess you all have had tanks for much longer than i have and definitely know best.

Also, i would like to extend my deepest thanks to you all. the disease seems to have gone from my tank, the guppies don't rub anymore, as far as i can tell.
They are looking more friendly towards each other too, 'Bluey' isn't chasing the other female and the male is back to his normal hormonal self.

The two young fry have actually been coming out of hiding more often now that i am doing more regular water changes and the adults don't bother them much.
Again, i am deeply thankful for all your help.

And thanks, Nanu(/Marcy), for setting me on the strait and narrow. besides you making me laugh with your joke, you have made a good argument. thanks again ^^

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
Clarity, just make sure you've added your dechlor and that the new water is the same temperature - you can even use the thermometer in your tank the first few times if you are concerned about how accurately your fingers can judge temp. Then pour it in right away. Honest to god. My water goes from my tap to the tank within 60 seconds.

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; Been following this thread and will offer a less popular alternative method for water change. For many years (decades) I have not used any water conditioning chemicals at all. I fill containers with tap water and allow them to sit for a week vented to the air (During warm weather mosquitoes will lay in the open container so I plug the openings with a bit of foam. I also have a six gallon water jug with a small vent that works well.) The chemicals in the tap water become inert during this period and the water can be poured directly into the tank. A second advantage is always having a source of drinking water on hand in an emergency. It has to be less expensive than the chemicals as well. Gallon jugs that have thick walls last longer than the distilled water or milk type. Vinegar bottles and Clorox bottles are sturdy. You must rinse them well. To clean them, I fill these bottles and let them sit a while and then dump the water into the washing machine. I do this several times before using them for an aquarium. You can likely find new containers somewhere that work if you do not wish to take a chance on cleaning used ones. The disadvantage is finding a place to store them.

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
Claritywind I know its tough, and there is a lot of info out there to sift through.

There might be an argument to be made that it is in some way better to let the water sit, but not keeping the ammonia down is far worse then anything else that could happen from a "rush dump"

Yeah you will get the hang of it in time I promise it's actually easier then it looks.

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
+1. Ammonia is super duper toxic. Like, bad, bad, bad. It's as if you were sitting in a locked room breathing poison gas. A water change is like someone opening a window for you and letting in healthy fresh air to dissipate the poison . . . .
Tagteam Laura and Marcy. *twirlysmi

Jan 15, 2011
MN
one other option, depending on where your tank is and if you can get it to work, green water, though it is more for breeding, it is working wonders for me, i have a 25 gal octagon tank with it and it has really taken off, many fish and no water change in over 1 month, and no ammonia, no nitrItes, and almost non existent nitrAtes... also not as appealing as a pretty clear tank, but much much much more healthy for them