I need some HELP...............

ms dee

Small Fish
Feb 24, 2003
columbus,ohio
Visit site
I far from been a pro. but I was told and done; that damsels are the best fish to use to cycle your tank. some can be aggressive. just check and see. good luck. sometimes it's hard to find all the answers you seek. try to get the least expensive fish to start out with.

eseow

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
No, wet/dry is not needed. Skimmer is a big help, and can be used without, but I DO NOT recommmend not using one for a beginner. Some live rock, a good protein skimmer and your filters will do just fine. As for lighting, you would want actinic blue bulbs with some white. With four bulbs you can use 2 actinic+2 white. Or 2 actinic, 1 white+ one 50/50. You would want blues on for most of the time with white lighting only for 3-5 hour period. As for wet/dry, you can use it if your getting it for a good price, but it's main purpose is biological filtration. Live rock and sand would make that obsolete. Also wet/dry will produce more nitrates than a live rock tank. Effectively, a good skimmer, live rock and sand is your best bet IMO. Your HOB filters will perform mech/chem filtration. Now if you can get a good wet/dry for cheap, you can run without the bioballs, place the carbon and floss in the first chamber only,skimmer in the sump and use it a for your mech/chem filters with skimmer for a berlin style setup with live rock and sand. Ultimately money will steer you to what you can do with the tank. You LFS can setup you up for a good price, go with it. Sump size mentioned can work. And also skimmer can be added later but if stocked with fish, I would not go past 2 weeks without skimmer.

pyro71985

Small Fish
Mar 6, 2003
Visit site
why does every LFS say i need a wet/dry sump?

why do i need better lighting everyone else says, my lighting is fine for a fish only tank, with some live rock.
if i need better lighting can i buy one of those 50/50 bulbs?

why do i need a skimmer so bad?

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pyro,
Please read some books or this link. It should answer all your questions. You are getting confused because you are getting conflicting opinions from your LFS and here. Which book do you own now? You said you have read 6 of them. Maybe it's outdated but usually they should tell you that you can use pretty much any light you want.

http://reefcentral.com/modules.php?s=&name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=1

So, you want to start a Marine tank…

Last edited: