i went shoping

Sep 26, 2006
New Jersey
Hey i went to the pet store yesterday to find really good deals here is what i got
i bought 3 of these for 14.99 and he gave me a nother free one
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Blue/Green Reef Chromis
i got 2 common Anemones for 19.99 each and a coral which i cant remember what it is so i'm going to needa find out what it is... but it was 69.99 but he gave it to me for 39.99
and on top of all that another 25% off. i'm going to try and take some pic's later

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
wait. so you now have 7 fish in your tank? and 2 anemones? Wow, so I am just assuming you did not do any reading at all? What makes you think that can work in a tank as small as yours? and on top of that your tank is only a month old, and has barely had time to establish itself, and you are adding 4 new fish? and have you anemone proofed your tank? do you know anything about them? do you have the lighting to support them? is your water pristine? I think you should try to return what you bought and do some research first before you start throwing money away. This may sound harsh, but it is the truth, and you bought a coral without knowing what it was and what its requirements were? just because they gave you a deal does not mean that you should buy these things, in my opinion, a poor decision on your part.

Sep 26, 2006
New Jersey
wait huh no i have 6 soon to be 4-5 i giving my damselfish back and my lighting is good for the coral i got 130w and a 20w white and what do i needa do to anemone proof my tank he said it would be fine because he is the same guy that helped me when i was seting up my tank and the coral he said is fine i just forgot what the name was i got everything i need to keep it tho...

btw i guess you were reading my sig the clown fish died...

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
that's an pretty big bio-load! expecially with no skimmer, you need at least 8-15 more lbs. of live rock and the anemone's are big wast producers from what ive heard, but i may be wrong.. why did your clown die? how long ago was that? they really need perefect conditions to stay healthy, i know i just lost one and thought i had what i needed for it to live.. if they show any sign of dieing get it out of you tank asap and into a qt tank b/c when they die they release alot of toxin's and pretty much kiss everything in your tank good bye!
just my 2 cents.. good luck

Sep 26, 2006
New Jersey
well he never would eat and i think he starved... i fed him mysis zooplanten flakes nothing was working but i'm thinking of maybe trying to sell my damsels
but i'm not sure i might get a skimmer and maybe do a sump not sure but yea i know it's kinda full... i'm thinking of getting a 29/37 i think those are both 30" long so well thx

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
just to put this in perspective...I have a 40 gallon tank with 85lbs of LR and 2 clowns and a small goby, and a skimmer, and I am hesitant to add another fish...lighting isnt everything...if your tank is a month old it is not stable or mature enough for anemones. plus with 4 fish in a 20 that is too big a bioload. I still think you should return your purchases.

Sep 26, 2006
New Jersey
i know what your saying aresgod but i got this stuff they eat...
yea betwin the 4 chromis and 2 damsels the damsels eat more then the 4 chromis and my damsels eat alittle comparded to what i was used to with my freshwater tank and i might put my damsels in another tank because there kinda mean...

and my coral is almost fully opened

BTW all my fish are about a 1" to 1 1/2" big

Last edited:

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I think the point that Bram is making is that the tank is not mature enough to support the anemones especially. They require pristine water conditions, excellent lighting and space.........btw what kind of anemones are they? In a tank your age with the bioload you are adding you given the size of the tank you may experience wider than average swings in nitrate etc all leading to water quality issues that anemones won't handle well. That is the problem, those anemones will likely suffer in the long run. The damsels/Chromis won't really as they are hardy and can pretty much handle a nuclear bomb, those and cockroaches will inherit the earth......so, best return the anemones and rethink that part of the equation.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Tre, that formula is for freshwater and is not only inaccurate but it is a dangerous assumption. Some fish are bigger crappers than others......5 chromis will give less waste than a 5 inch tang.....it is dependant on the specific fish not their size. What they eat, how they eat and how they process their waste.....a lion is a much messier eater than an angel fish. If that was the case you could put a yellow tang into a 20g as the fish won't get to 20 inches in length........okay enough said.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
the rule for fresh water i belive was 1 inch per gallon and for salwater 1 inch per 10 gallons..... and by rule of thumb i just meant generally ..... dont go plannin yur whole tank around this:rolleyes:
(if im wrong than sorry thats just what ive read)

btw salt4life id still return atleast those anenomes and coral and take that money toward more live rock (since u want a bigger biolad)

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2006
New Jersey
well i'll see about the anemons the coral i really love and it's now about fully open i'm thinking about seting up another tank to lower my bio load and maybe upgrade my main to something else 30" wide
thx for the info i knew the fish per inch pended on the type of fish tho

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
TRe said:
by rule of thumb i just meant generally ..... dont go plannin yur whole tank around this:rolleyes:
i'm afraid you have been mislead...1in per 10g isn't even a moderately accurate "rule of thumb" as you call it. there are very very few instances in SW where that will actually work

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
this is actually exactly what i read
As a general rule of thumb, each gallon of water will support one inch of length for fish (as adults). This rule is for fresh water; for salt water, you need about 10 gallons per inch of fish.
but like i said it was just sumthing i read

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Salt4life, you will still have a problem with those anemones.....it isn't the size of the tank, or the lighting but a combination of everything with the maturity of your tank.....getting a new bigger tank won't solve this issue.......you are still better off returning them and waiting.....that is the solution to this issue....WAIT......btw, you still haven't told us what kind of anemone they are.