ICK?

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Was this tank cycled before adding the fish? How? It sounds more like ammonia/water quality issues than ich. Such a small tank really isn't suitable for a pair of guppies.

Lonewolfblue

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Wenatchee, WA
www.nw-wolf.com
wilsonriverfish said:
raise the temperature to 83 degrees and in a week it will be gone if it is in fact ich. I have dealt with ich alot now with feeder fish ususally bringing it in, I would wait to se if you see and white spot and if you do then I would in fact raise the temperature. I have NEVER used salt as part of my treatment and I have always gotten rid of it with the higher temperatures.

\ Hope that helps
Actually, 83 degrees will only cause ick to spread faster. Needs to be above 86 degrees. So if you see any signs of ick, treatment for ick is upping the temp slowly over a 2-3 day period to over 86 degrees. I use 89 degrees myself, and have not lost a fish yet. Also, at those temps, you will be best using a large airstone as well, for as much surface aggitation as possible. Then when you see the last ick spot disappear, leave the temp up for 2 weeks, then slowly lower the temp. That will ensure that the ick is gone, including what might be in the substrate.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
The finrot was due to the poor water conditions. This tank wasn't cycled and was overstocked to boot. The "acid" is due to the ammonia in the water (urine is acidic)

P.S., it would be better if you ran one thread for this problem. ;)

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
I can guess there are no nitrites or nitrates. You need to either move her to another tank which is cycled or do vigorous water changes and monitor her well.

A 1 1/2 is not really suitable for guppies -- it's like asking them to live in a port-a-potti. Are your other tanks cycled? Their stocking levels and choices are a bit troubling.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Unless Cosmo is unusually aggressive for a glassfish, they aren't typically aggressive. They *are* schooling fish so you may have issues with him due to that. I would be more worried about the CAE.

If you change the water in the 1 1/2 and plan to keep her there, you'll essentially be subjecting her to a fish-in cycle. How long have your other tanks been set up? Is there any chance you could borrow some filter media or gravel from one of them to cycle this tank (if they're established, you could essentially cycle this little tank w/ one fish immediately)?

Lonewolfblue

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Wenatchee, WA
www.nw-wolf.com
wilsonriverfish said:
raise the temperature to 83 degrees and in a week it will be gone if it is in fact ich. I have dealt with ich alot now with feeder fish ususally bringing it in, I would wait to se if you see and white spot and if you do then I would in fact raise the temperature. I have NEVER used salt as part of my treatment and I have always gotten rid of it with the higher temperatures.

\ Hope that helps
Small correction here, lol. The best Ick treatment is raising the temp above 86 degrees. I use 89 degrees myself, and have never lost a fish. Ick can survive in 83 degrees and will just spread faster. And the other part of the treatment is adding an airstone or bubbler. At these temps, you will have much less O2, and need as much surface aggitation as possible. The fish will be ok. Also, some use salt as well, but I don't personally. The salt levels that affect the ick could very well affect some of the fish. And finally, once you see the last white spot disappear, leave the temp up for 2 weeks. This will ensure all the ick is gone, even what might still be in the substrate.

Also, another thing that can be added as an ick prevention idea is running a diatom filter every once and a while. Ick is too big, and will get caught up in the filter.

Last edited:

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
If you give me a link I can merge the two threads. How about the other questions people asked in this thread?

Personally I'm guessing that the best thing you can do to help her out is regular water changes 50% a day if you need to to bring the ammonia and nitrite levels down.