Identify that Pleco!

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
Yeah, the bigger he gets the harder it will be to re-home him.

Are you planning on increasing your tetras to schools of at least six, or are you planning on getting rid of them and getting something different?

squidg

Small Fish
Jan 10, 2010
hello i think its a bristlenose pleco the males have long bristles on their nose and females may have small ones or none. I have one of each and my female looks just like that. If thats the case they only grow to 6".

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
Thats a common pleco, the name for his tall fin is "sail fin" and his coloration is "marble". It's like saying "I have a long haired black cat" so it's a cat, and it has long hair, and it is black.

Yeah those guys max at like 30". They have teeth, large ones can and do attack swimming fish and eat them if they get hungry, and they are notorious jumpers.

LFS will call pretty commons "fancy plecos" "fancy commons" "marble plecos" "sail fin plecos" etc..... They just want a reason to call it something other then common....

To me it seems a bit like calling that long haired black cat a Persian... even though it is just a regular cat with long hair.