Iggy’s Tank Cycle Recipe

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Iggy’s Tank Cycle Recipe FAQ (Revised #1)

This is the recipe I used to fishless cycle my 10 to 38 gallon tanks in 1 to 3 weeks.

Items:
· Your Tank (nothing under 5 gallons this recipe)
· No Fish (any fish in the tank need to be removed or they will all die from the cycle)
· Thermometer (any fish tank style, I prefer submersible glass thermometers)
· Gravel, plants, & decorations in the tank
· Air stone & Air pump (any)
· Filter (any including HOB power, canister, under-gravel)
· Heater (5 to 10 watts per gallon)
· 1 Bottle of Ammonia (no additives, no perfumes, no dies)
- household ammonia will do, but make sure it has no surfactants (additives) and no perfumes/color, either of these will poison the water
- The ingredients on the bottle should only say: 'Water + Ammonia'
- Safeway brand (clear) works and West Best Ammonia All-Purpose Cleaner also works. If your not sure, call the supplier/distributor and ask!
· 1 Ammonia Test Kit
· 1 Nitrite Test Kit
· 1 Nitrate Test Kit (optional)

Do the following:
1. Setup your tank gravel, decorations, filters and airlines.
2. Fill the tank completely with treated (dechlorinated and dechloraminated) water.
3. Turn on your filtration system and air pump devices.
4. Turn your Heater on and set to 84F, check your tank thermometer after a few hours to verify the tank water temperature is between 83 and 84F
5. The first time you add ammonia, add small quantities (about 1/4 to 1/2 capful) slowly and test after you add each time (give it 3 to 5 minutes in between to circulate before your test) until you get an ammonia test reading of around 5ppm. The reason you have to add ammonia this way is because most ammonia bottles are diluted with water at different ratios. Markdown or remember the total amount (capfuls) it took to get to 5ppm for your tank volume.
6. Every day, once a day, add the total amount of ammonia that it took to bring your tank ammonia test kit to 5ppm. Do this till the very end of the nitrite cycle.
7. It will take about 3-5 days for your ammonia levels to go to 0ppm after 24 hours, and the first of the two bacteria cycles to complete.
8. Keep adding the ammonia (same amount and every day, once a day) until your nitrite levels become 0pmm after 24 hours, which can take about 2 to 3 weeks time. The nitrite levels will spike for a longer time because the nitrite to nitrate processing bacteria take longer to grow than the ammonia to nitrite bacteria.
9. After the nitrite shows 0ppm (clear), change as much water as you can (leave they gravel/substrate/decorations in the tank) to get rid of the bulk of the nitrate buildup (you can use your nitrate test kit to confirm if you want). Don't 'clean' the tank or use sanitizers, just remove the bulk of the water and replace it with treated water.
10. Now you can fully stock your tank with fish, the 2nd cycle is complete! This means you can add as many fish as your tank size and filtration can manage.
11. If you do not add your full capacity of fish after the fishless cycle is complete, remember that next time you more add fish, add only a few at a time, because the bacteria colonies you built-up during the cycle would have died off a little (from lack of food) so you need to give it time to recover (which can take a few weeks).

To help speed up the process:
a. If you have access to filters or filter media (sponge/bio-wheel/etc) from an established/healthy tank, this will speed up the cycle process considerably! HOWEVER if you plan on removing the filter after your done the cycle, remember you should not fully-stock your tank to start off with, because you will be removing a good portion of the bacteria colony when you remove the filter media.
b. If you have a source of gravel from a healthy cycled tank, mix it into the new gravel to jump-start the colony. Same goes for decorations and filter media. Some LFS actually sell ceramic and other pre-cycled media you can add to your tank, but that will only help the process, it will not replace the time fully.
c. If you have access to a healthy tank (LFS), get them to supply a little water and squeeze the sponge filter into it and then you add it to your new tank water. This might make the tank water look a little murky for a while, but it really helps to seed the tank with the bacteria colonies. Some fish stores actually sell ceramic chips from cycled tanks.
d. Don’t skip or reduce the amount of ammonia till the tank is fully cycled (0pmm nitrite). The ammonia eating bacteria colonies need to stay feel fed to supply the nitrite eating colonies and promote growth
e. Do not use ammonia absorbing chemical filtration media like Zeolite. Some bubble filters have zeolite mixed in with the carbon (white flakes), so remove that filter if you suspect it has zeolite until the cycle is complete.
f. Do not make any water changes until the cycle is complete**
** The only exception is if you accidentally add too much ammonia, then you might need to do a large water change to bring the tank ammonia levels back to around 5ppm.
g. Some people have had good luck using fresh Bio-spira (must be refrigerated during storage to work). Avoid other ‘bottled’ cycle additives. I have had the same time periods with and without the additives, so save your money or buy it for some emotional support if you have to, but I don’t really think you need it.
h. Add some live plants to help control the nitrate levels. You will still (always) need to do regular water changes (I do 25% of the tank volume every week) to keep the nitrate levels from building up too high.

Last edited:

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I agree...good recipe, should be stickied.

I would add that the water change after the ammonia and nitrites reach 0 should be as close to 100% as possible, not just 50%.

Also, fresh Bio-spira has been shown to be the best (only) additive that has sped up the process immensely for a lot of people.

And one of the biggest advantages to the fishless cycle is that you can fully stock the tank right after that 100% water change at the end. If you stock it too slowly you might see some mini-cycles going on.

Apr 11, 2003
Phx,AZ
Visit site
A small theory i have about this is that the reason the second bacteria takes longer to grow is because there is none of that bacteria already in the tank because it died because of lack of food, this is still true if you seed your tank(not true if using enough bio-spira to completely cycle your tank). Anyways what i'm trying to say is that you should seed your tank again after the ammonia spike.

I'm open for ideas and critical analysis of my "theory".

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Interesting theory rocketshrimp. When I have been cycling I usually rinse out any filters that need rinsing in the tank that's cycling. I can't say I have had any record-speed cycles yet, though. However, the more tanks I have, the less seeding there is to spread around in terms of decorations and gravel.

Maybe the second bacteria just has a slower metabolism and takes longer to divide/multiply.

TaffyFish

Superstar Fish
Jan 30, 2003
Visit site
Great post, well done. Here's my contribution:-

g. live plants can be added right from the outset, there's no need to wait for the cycle to complete.

h. the most obvious and effective short cut is to use mature filter media from existing tanks. (Very few people try a fishless cycle with their first tank, most already have fish and at least one tank by the time they've come across fishless cycling.) You can achieve an almost instant cycle or a cycle within 7 days if you take some of your biological media from a canister, or swap in one or more sponges from internal filters. After all this is what a lot of people do to quickly re-commission their quarantine tanks.

pamcat

Small Fish
Nov 5, 2003
USA CA
Visit site
Hi, I'd like to point out you didnt say what strength the ammonia was..1/4 teaspon was enough ammonia to bring my 46 gallon to 5.0ppm,, It might be wise to point out that each company uses a different strength of ammonia as there is no regulation amount to classify it as household ammonia..just helps people to understand to use small amounts :)

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Good idea, Somonas. When I cycled the 10g I used 1 teaspoon of ammonia. The ammonia seems to be different strengths, so you do have to add it slowly when you first use it, otherwise you have to do a water change :(

I guess if you use biowheel filters, swapping a bacteria-laden one onto a cycling tank does wonders. In the 50g we are cycling now, we added an HOB filter cartridge and a cannister cartridge from established tanks. Ammonia went way down overnight, but no signs of nitrite to be seen. Nitrites rose within a few days, though.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Great input everyone!

Originally posted by TaffyFish
g. live plants can be added right from the outset, there's no need to wait for the cycle to complete.
Another thing on this that I've heard is that if you DO add plants to the tank from the start you need to use less ammonia or none at all depending on the type and number of plants. I haven't tried it...but there have been several people comment that if you get the level of ammonia up over about 3ppm the plants "melt." So it makes sense to me to use less ammonia...plus having plants in a new tank also makes those ammonia/nitrite spikes lower and less harmful to the fish. There have been quite a few people that have said if you have a moderate to heavily planted tank you dont really need to worry about the initial cycling...just build up your bioload slowly and you wont see much (if any) rise of ammonia/nitrites in your tank.

Originally posted by Somonas
Why dont we get peoples comments and criticisms, and then Iggy and repost her modified instructions in a new thread which will become stickied and part of the FAQ.
BTW how IS that FAQ Section coming along? I should go dig that thread up. Catfishmike do you want to put a committee together to get the ball rolling?

Gomer

Superstar Fish
Apr 25, 2003
So Calif.
beyond_gomer.tripod.com
Looks good :)

Just a couple comments. You'll want the filter on before turning on the heater. Other wise you will have a very non uniform heating in the tank water while trying to heat it.

WRT plants...you don't want to have too much ammonia with plants because you could a) easily trigger green water since b) burn the plants.

When I cycle with plants, I do it WITH fish, not without. With a high plant load (and sufficient lighting), you can soften the cycle so that there is very little to no apparent nitrite or ammonia spike.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
You can also get algae while you are cycling with plants. It disappeared on mine after cycling was done, and I don't think any of the plants got burned.

Adding plants certainly helps alleviate the "dead empty tank" syndrome and gives you something alive to look at while you cycle.

Somonas

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
O-town
www.myfishtank.net
After you cycle one tank you dont need to fishless cycle again unless you want to increase your biological base. case in point cichlid owners frequently have to separate fish due to aggression. well since we've setup a second tank and removed fish from the first tank into the second,,,, since we have reduced the biological load in the 1st tank we just need to move a filter or filter media over.... instant cycle...

catfishmike

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sin City, again...
uh.. last time we talked about it a few people offered to sent me some stuff but i haven't got any thing yet.i sent a few things to somonas but i think the e-mail got misdirected or something like that?thanks for reminding me i will send those again.79 camaro and ducksare fun both sent me some things so i'll send those beore the nights over and if anyone wants to make a contribution pm me for my e-mail.good idea somonas.

Originally posted by catfishmike
uh.. last time we talked about it a few people offered to sent me some stuff but i haven't got any thing yet.i sent a few things to somonas but i think the e-mail got misdirected or something like that?thanks for reminding me i will send those again.79 camaro and ducksare fun both sent me some things so i'll send those beore the nights over and if anyone wants to make a contribution pm me for my e-mail.good idea somonas.
what would we have to send you, catfishmike?

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Somonas said...
Why dont we get peoples comments and criticisms, and then Iggy and repost her modified instructions in a new thread which will become stickied and part of the FAQ.
Hey check my Bio... I'm a guy, really!

Gomer said...
You'll want the filter on before turning on the heater. Other wise you will have a very non uniform heating in the tank water while trying to heat it.
Sure, I assume they will turn on the filtration without waiting for the water to heat up... but then again, I did not even include the fact they need to ADD WATER IN THE FIRST PLACE! (Fill it up boys! - Dechlorinated right!)

froggyfox21 said...
I would add that the water change after the ammonia and nitrites reach 0 should be as close to 100% as possible, not just 50%.
Changing 40 gallons of water with a 2 gallon bucket is a lot of work! I would say, change at least 50% on tanks 33 gallons or bigger, 75% on smaller sizes.

Rocketshrimp said...
A small theory i have about this is that the reason the second bacteria takes longer to grow is because there is none of that bacteria already in the tank because it died because of lack of food, this is still true if you seed your tank
That makes some sort of sense (about nitrite to nitrate bacteria). Actually, I would suggest doing weekly sponge squeezings into the cycling tank using a sponge filter from an established,healthy tank. The times I did not do it, it sure showed. Now I do clean the sponge a little before I squeeze it into the tank cycle water, I don't want any large particulates moving into the new tank.

TaffyFish,yes I admit most people do a fishFULL cycle the first time they have a tank. However, a lot of first timers loose most if not all the fish to stress and resanitize the tank, which kills the bacteria too, so I hope this thread will help them as well the 2nd time around.

My recipe cost (minus the equipment obviously) is only about $4.00 in ammonia. Bio-Spira is a little more, and not all pet stores store it properly, so buyer beware and don't depend on it working!

I am still working on the formula, this recipe was based on 3 trials: 1x 10 gal (2 weeks). 1x 17 gal. (6 days) and recently 1x 38 gal (just over 2 weeks).

Thanks for all the feedback folks!

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I guess my ammonia worked out cheaper :) One bottle cost $0.97, and less than a teaspoon was needed for the 10g, and about a tablespoon for the 50g. :D I guess I cycled my tank for about 10 cents, which is sure a lot less than the cost of a poor danio.