im getting a neon tetra today and i need HELP!

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Ok, so what kind of fish is it? How big is the tank it's in? A change in temperature can put a fish into shock, so the temperature should always be steady. A fish tank should never be in front of a window. He should also be doing what's called "water changes." This is what helps to keep the water clean. He needs to be taking out about 20% of the water each week, and adding new water. Make sure he is also "dechlorinating" with a dechlorinator/water conditioner.

Dec 13, 2006
good old oswego,ny
yes he puts declorinating drops every time he changes the water and waits 24 hors before putting the fish back in. the tank is about a ten gallon and its a feeder fish, you know, common gold fish. i'll tell him to take the fish tank out from infront of the window today.

MrBungle

Large Fish
Oct 18, 2006
NY, on an island...
and the dechlorinator pretty much instantly dechlorinates the water. I know he's 7 so maybe you can give him a hand with the water change so he gets the temp of the water as close to the temp of the tank as possible.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Yeah, there is no need to remove the fish when you do a water change. You just have to make sure the water that you are adding is about the same temperature as the tank. Goldfish do not need heaters, but they do need filtration, frequent water changes, and a constant temperature. When the tank is in front of the window, the temp will change throughout the day.

Jayrod7

Large Fish
Dec 1, 2005
Omaha, Nebraska
going along with whatevery one says about not getting the neons yet.

if you go to petsmart or petco or whatever petstore you have in your area, you can get a 10 gallon for around $45, if your lucky and get them on sale you can get them for around $30,not sure if you have a petland in your area but they have a sale on their 10 gallons for $35. id recomend going and get a 10 gallon atleast before getting neons, they need heaters and filters.