im new and ready to learn

shark shak

Medium Fish
Mar 2, 2006
i started a new tank and got 9 fish for 20 gallon tank.they are 4 barbs of some sort two tiger barbs,2 bala sharks and i irredescent shark.
i want to breed my barbs i know nothing on the subject, can anyone help me.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
Before you think about breeding, let's get your tank cycled so your fish stay alive. First things first.
Read the stickies right away regarding cycling. Go get some Bio-Spira, if you can find it in your area. Get a master test kit if you can. Otherwise, at least get the one for ammonia first, then as the ammonia levels start to come down, pick up the one for nitrites, then the one for nitrates. Or, at least get your water tested by your lfs every couple of days until your tank is cycled (when ammonia and nitrites read zero, and you have some nitrates).
Welcome to the tank.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Hi Shark, welcome to MFT. I agree you need to read up on how to setup a fishtank, as well as you may want to seriously re-evaluate your choices for the tank. Check out our profiles (tab on the upper left corner of the forum) and read about the fish you have, the ID shark and the bala sharks need a much bigger tank than you have now. Both types can get over a foot long and like to have others of the same kind in the tank.

Feb 22, 2003
Canada
Visit site
I completely agree with Froggy, read up on your fish...I have 5 Bala sharks in a 125g and they are almost 12 inches long each and may even grow bigger, I had an ID shark that was 8 pounds when he died the can get up to 3 feet long or more so if you can I would bring them back to the store or start saving your $$$$ for an extremely large tank, they also grow fairly quickly so you could be needing a larger tank within months.....also Id sharks are very skitish and could damage your small tank, trust me mine broke the seal on mine by bashing around in the tank when he got spooked, needless to say it was quite the mess