Is a 20 gal tank ok for a beginer ?

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
Depending on where you are, shipping can be cheaper for LR than buying locally even for small amounts. Not sure about the prices around TX, but around here the cheapest you can get it is $8.50-10/lb. Especially since it's going into a new tank so it doesn't matter if there's some die off during shipping.
True enough, I got spoiled, as one of my LFS sells "Cured" LR for $5/lb and I know I can't touch that on the internet including shipping.

spllouder

Large Fish
Aug 19, 2007
Springfield MO
True enough, I got spoiled, as one of my LFS sells "Cured" LR for $5/lb and I know I can't touch that on the internet including shipping.
forgot to tell everyone . my lfs sells figi cured rock for $4.99 a pound for the first 10 ounds then after that its only $2.99 a pound . :D

i read most of the stickys but still dont understand fully about the filter ?

should i just get two power heads ? and no hang on the back filter ?

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
forgot to tell everyone . my lfs sells figi cured rock for $4.99 a pound for the first 10 ounds then after that its only $2.99 a pound . :D
SCORE! as long as it's not ugly base rock, Buy the stuff *celebrate

i read most of the stickys but still dont understand fully about the filter ?

should i just get two power heads ? and no hang on the back filter ?
Yea, basically no powerfilter, just position the powerheads to flow in/around/above etc. the LR so that there are no "dead spots". The LR then acts as a biological filter, that in combination with WC's should keep your water condition good. Now if you absolutely need mechanical filtration (stuff floating around in the tank etc. that you want out of there) then simply hang a small powerfilter on the back, pop in the filter media and let it go to work, however that type a filtration may/may not be needed. If I see hunks/chunks of stuff floating around in my tank, I usually just grab my net and "strain" it out of there.

Last edited:

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
The problem with a filter in SW (especially on a reef tank) is that it is too good at what it does. It turns ammonia and nitrites into nitrates quickly. That's good for a freshwater tank, but in SW you're trying to keep the nitrates as low as possible (especially a reef tank). So instead of having a biowheel or whatever making extra nitrates, you have the live rock and water changes to take out the little nitrates that you do get.

With a 30g you might also look into a good protein skimmer, to take out even more nitrates. Avoid sea clones... never heard anything good about them. I know a lot of people also don't like the prizm skimmers, but that's what I've got and it does work well. It is finicky when you turn it on but does well taking out the nitrates on a relatively small tank (I think they're insane to rate it at 90g but it keeps my nitrates very low in a 45g).

spllouder

Large Fish
Aug 19, 2007
Springfield MO
Thanks for all the info . iam contuine to plan my tank every hour . Iam going go with maxi-jet power heads . Do you think I should get two Maxi-Jet 400's . or one maxi-jet 900 . ?

Yes i said Damn When i heard the price of $2.99 a pound for figi live rock Lots to choose from decent rock has lots of live and has been in there tanks for awhile and is restocked often .