Is It Okay To Keep Bettas In Small Vases?

Should Bettas Be Kept In Small Vases?

• Hell No!

Votes: 35 79.5%
  • Hey! I have a Betta in a small vase - no fair!

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Of course it's okay! They're only animals!

Votes: 4 9.1%

• Total voters
Sep 2, 2005
North East Philly
Yep the purple guy is mine. (-: He likes to flare for the camera. UB was actually a Petsmart betta that lived in those little 8 ounce cups, when I put him into his aquarium he did not know how to swim forward! Then he spent another two hours admiring the plants and exploring his cave, one time he was in a nose dive position nipping at the white flowers on the silk plants I guess he never had plants and decor before, he was so amazed at everthing on his first day home.

I never met anyone yet with a Betta vase, but if I do I will have a strict but encouraging topic on fishy care.

I have a betta as well, called Beatrix, (after the Kill Bill character.. because of the whole fighting fish thing, mainly!), She's lovely too! Abit camera shy! :)
She's not as vibrant as your Betta.. she's like white... with dabs of pink, an ORANGE head.. and turquoise fins! - Oh, and little purple dabs on her body. :) But i think she's beautiful. Apparently, nobody had wanted her (all the males had been snapped up instantly) because her colour was a little bland compared to them, but i love her, i heard that when they get older, they get a little more colour, anyway! :D As soon as i saw her, i actually said to my brother "I'm getting that Betta" - a few weeks later, i did!

Fish Friend

Superstar Fish
May 29, 2005
England
www.piczo.com
I agree with you chaz.... when i used to help at my lfs just in the back sorting out the fish in quarantine... they have them in bottles because it is a very warm room so none of the tanks have heaters and they are in quarantine... after 1 week they put them into the actual tanks in the shop but they are cooped up in these little container things stuck to the side of tanks... what kinda life is that for them ? they cannot move only just sit there waiting to be bought... but yet they have all the females out in their own tank !!!!! i find it very unfair i asked them why they do this and they say because they will bull yand kill all the other fishes.... not if there is just one of there own kind in every tank =|

Sep 2, 2005
North East Philly
Your right fish friend, keeping the poor boys in little containers only to watch a big world that they cannot swim in must be so frustrating for them. Put it this way, even if the male bettas only have to wait a few days to get purchased that is still a few days to be stressed therefore prone to illness, besides a few days to them is a long time for them since bettas live only up to several years so everyday should be precious to them.

Several years? Wow - i read they live up to 2-3:eek: lol
I cannot wait to get a bigger tank for my Beatrix, she is a very happy fish where she is.. so when i get a bigger one, i may let her have the 8GAL with Sammie the Snail *teehee* and perhaps get an ADF.. i used to have one at my aunties years ago, but it died from old age:(
Then get the 30-40GAL for some schooling fish or something, seeing as my neons will probably (hopefully) still be alive! :) (They can live to 10years.. apparently! :D).
Around where i am, the boy bettas always get sold first, because they're far more colourful.. they get snatched up on the first day, lol - that's why i had to get my Betta because she'd been there for god knows how long on her own (well.. with some neons, lol).. and i felt sorry, i felt if i didn't buy her, nobody would.. and besides, the way her mouth was opening and closing, almost made me think she was trying to say "buy me.. buy me!" lol -
WOW, i'm weird! :D

Fish Friend

Superstar Fish
May 29, 2005
England
www.piczo.com
lol yeah.... oh btw i forgot to mention in that post i made up there... i have seen some of them little trap things that are below the waters surface so if they need air desperate then they will die ... bit like us drowning... but not quite drowning !
*edit shame on you 3 people that think its ok because thre only animals !!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Yeah - i wish i hadn't forgotton to put the public view thing on.. because then we could find out who it was! lol -
And yes, that is also why i'm against vases, theres hardly any room to surface for air.. God - i hate people who think Fish are okay in 'small' places, because they're 'designed' to be... i wonder how they'd feel if we stuck them in a small closet with the door locked, and sprinkled in one or two cornflakes every day for them to eat...

melissakate

Medium Fish
Jan 22, 2005
Townsville, Qld - AUSTRALIA
my housemate keeps her's in small setups. the pet shop sells them with two compartments with a divider. they're so small and she barely cleans the water. anyways, there's not much i can do except when's she's not home, clean & feed them :p i have 2 males who are in decent sized bowls and are doing much much much better than hers :p

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Really... its a hard question to answer definatively. Depending on the size if the vase, the size of the betta, the frequency of water changes, the temperature of the room, the feeding habits, etc.

Is a vase ideal for a betta? No.
Do I want people to buy 'Betta Vases', No.

Why? Because a vase is a decoration, and most new owners have no idea about water changes and proper nutrition.

Also, most mass-promoters of betta vases used to do the same with goldfish first, but they died more quickly (no oxygene in water whereas bettas can breath from the surface).

I've seen really nice betta's in vases, and I've seen some really sick ones also.

In my world, each betta would have a 5 gallon, planted, heated, slow-filtered tank.

In reality, so long as they are treated humanely, properly fed and kept clean, that is all I can hope for.

schneirw

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Lancaster, Pa
www.the-schneiders.net
I voted "Hell, no" because 99/100 times I'm sure the betta is living in an insanely small vase with improper care. Lordroad's vase looks good and I'm sure if a set up like that is taken care of that it would be a decent environment for the betta.

One women at work has a planted vase (with a betta) in her cube. The vase is so small it appears to hold, maybe, 20 ounces of water. On top of that there's a huge plant in there that probably takes up half of that space. Poor betta ... she had it maybe a month and it died. :(