Is it possible to be *too* kind?

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
I guess I should qualify my previous statements:

Rule #2: Never buy medicine for fish; sick fish die
Rule #3: If a fish looks sick, net it out and euthanize it for the sake of the healthy fish
If the cost of the medicine is more than the cost of the fish, euthanization is more economical. Obviously, if you have an $80 fish, med that sucker and keep him/her alive.

lordroad

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2004
Shelby, NC
www.joshday.com
I've never had any luck with meds. I thought I may have cured a discus of IP with metronidazole, but the fish never properly ate again and I ended up giving it to someone in the reef club who was aware of its ailments and was excited about having a discus in his 55 gallon planted tank.

And to go along with Delta's point #4, that discus was an 80 dollar fish and meds/garlic/etc. kept it alive (maybe), but certainly didn't pull it all the way through.

Same with ich meds. Didn't do anything for me at all.

Only treatments I use are heat and salt for ich and similars.

Like Big Vine, I had neon tetras pinking out and looking squiggly in the spine and I froze them for the good of the others. A necessary variable in the equation of keeping a stable and healthy tank... (these neons picked NTD months and months after acclimatization and introduction)

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
I meant (with respect to Rule #4) that instead of getting all emotionally twisted up, think positively about the situation and see the good in an inevitable fish loss.