Is my tank cycled or not started? NEED HELP!

littlea8

Small Fish
Feb 28, 2009
okay well when should i test next because another forum is telling me to wait like a month and test again....this is why im so confused cause i get mixed answers...(im a guy btw :p)

Whiskers

Large Fish
Feb 29, 2008
central Michigan USA
i would say give it a day or two and test again and see what your readings are and let us know ok. since yours seems to be cycling like a cycled tank would do, i would think a day or two the nitrites will go back to 0. it might even take less time but to be on the safe side a day or two should do. just keep everyone up to date ok.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I really believe your tank was jump start cycled due to the live rock. Wait a few days or at the most a week, then test again, if all is zero you should be good to go. Check the ph and buffer it up to 8.2 with Kents super buffer.....check your ca if you can and your alk. This isn't imperative but I think your salt mix may not have enough if the ph is low like that......think about switching to a more consistent salt mix like instant ocean or reef crystals and if feeling rich Tropic Marin ..... these salt mixes are well tested and seem to be more reliable as to parameters.....I am not saying yours isn't just that it isnt as common of a brand.

littlea8

Small Fish
Feb 28, 2009
okay so I testing everything once again because the shrimp is completely decayed. My results were as follows:

Ammonia still stayed at 0ppm
Nitrite decreased back to 0ppm from 0.25ppm
Nitrates stayed the same at 20ppm
PH stayed the same at 7.2

So the only change was the decrease in nitrites back to 0. I was gonna test sunday but the shrimp is totally rotten and i don't think can get worse. I would think it is cycled and time for a 50% water change but then again i am a beginner. Can the professionals please help me out? what should i do? lol

Whiskers

Large Fish
Feb 29, 2008
central Michigan USA
yeah, your tank is cycled for sure. congrats. since your readings are acceptable as far as the ammonia,nitrite and nitrates go i would say you don't need to do a water change yet. what is your salinity level at?

the one thing i would be concerened about is your ph level. i dont have a saltwater tank yet so i don't know how important the ph is but i do believe it should be around 8.0 to 8.4. i think others can help you better with this than i can. if it needs to go up then the kent ph up buffer is what was recomended. do you have any fish in the tank?

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Yes raise the ph slowly using Kents super buffer.....everything else looks good and you should be looking to possibly add a clean up crew of snails, try for mixed varieties as each species does something different. After a week or so and you have your ph up I would seriously think about adding fish.....the most docile first and the most aggressive last.....