Is this dropsy?

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
I had my betta is a ten gallon tank (which I also keep my krib fry in as they are growing out). I feed them twice daily ( a mixture of crushed up Tetra Pro Crisps, freeze dried bloodworm and fry bites) and my betta really hogged out all the time. So much so, that he developed a strange "cyst" on his left side. His right side looks a bit swollen too, but it is mostly on his left side. I was afraid that this diet wasn't good for him and that he was over-eating, and probably the nutritional requirements weren't optimum for an adult betta, so I moved him into the 55 gallon tank a week ago. His cyst still hasn't gone down, tho, in fact it slowly gets worse every day.

I don't really see the trademark "pine cone" effect that usually indicates dropsy, just a clear cyst that you can see right though.

He is still eating great, acting completely normal and otherwise seems healthy. In fact he is really fitting in well in the 55 gallon tank and he doesn't bother any other fish and the others don't bother him. He just swims around in what must seem like an ocean after being in a five gallon then to the ten gallon tanks.

Here's a couple pictures:

Does this look like dropsy, or something else?

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
Well, I tried the pea last night - I isolated him in one of those floating cubes and boiled a pea - took off the shell, and cut it in half. He didn't touch it. He still looks bloated. I think I'm gonna hold back all food to him for three or four days then put another pea piece in, he'll be good 'n hungry then!
Does anyone else have a difficult time getting their fish to eat the pea?

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
I smoosh it into smaller pieces. All my fish go after it.
Don't wait three or four days, try again tonight or tomorrow after holding back food. I guess the only sure way to do that in the 55 is to keep him in the cube?

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
ok, I'll try that.*thumbsups
Thanks!!

As soon as the krib babies are big enough to sell to the LFS, my lil beta fella is going back into his ten gallon. And future krib babies are gonna have to make it on their own in the 55 gallon.

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
Good news, sort of. :rolleyes: he is showing interest in the pea bits. I chopped it up really small, and he ate a bit of it (or at least nibbled it) last night. He is still fully blown up on one side, tho. It's like he swallowed a bubble...and it looks like it will burst, you can see right through it, it's clear.
Let's hope the peas do the trick! When I refreshed his water this morning there was a little poop in it, so at least he is getting something out of his digestive system.

p.s. DANG sorry those pics are so big!!!!

Last edited:

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
Tonight he is eating his pea-mash with relish!

I just can't seem to get a good picture of the bubble on his side... (see next post for video)

Last edited:

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Wow, that video took a while to load :) I had minimized the window and was off surfing when the sound started :p

It almost looks like a cyst or tumor. It's still hard to really tell in the video. As far as I know, there's no known treatment for tumors or cysts, and they may or may not be fatal. :( There are some pics for comparison here: http://www.fishpalace.org/Disease.html#Growth (there are some images of tumors further up the page).

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
Yeah, I'm really sorry about that, Lotus. It's my first time venturing into posting a video :(. I'll get better at it!
I read that link, and think I am going to try a bath of potassium permanganate. I'll pick some up at the pharmacy tomorrow.