Is this Webpage a joke????

Dec 8, 2004
Visit site
http://www.bubblegear.8k.com/catalog.html

Okay I was browsing the internet to find information about bettas, and I came across this site. I'm really hoping that this webpage is just some sick practical joke. I know that those "bonsai kittens" where it looked like real cats were stuffed inside jars as kittens to stunt their growth was a practical joke. Those caused some real distraught in some people. Is this kind of the same thing? This BubbleGear stuff is total abuse! Does anyone know if it's real or not??

Dec 8, 2004
Visit site
Isn't this really bad for the fish? I can't imagine how a betta could have a good life in someone's handbag. They don't like moving water or anything like that. I know the website claims that they feel very little movement, but for some reason, I can't believe that something like that is even allowed on the market.

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
It will never fly. Women can't stick with the same purse long enough to make it worth it, IMHO. The only way I could see it working is if the acrylic tank comes out, that way you could put it in the bag on those days that your outfit matches the pastel striped bag...

Jan 19, 2005
Mesa, Arizona
"Although the miniature fish tank is more than 5 times larger than that of the average pet shop container"

WTF? Where is this lady shopping for fish? Those purses look about as big as a shotglass...

Ughh. I suggest that everyone e-mail this moron and tell her what's what. I'll contact PETA.

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
Yeah, SunQueen, I guess they are talking about the little 12oz. plastic cups that Petco sells bettas in.

Did you change your name or something? You've only got 7 posts now...

Jan 19, 2005
Mesa, Arizona
NoDeltaH2O said:
that way you could put it in the bag on those days that your outfit matches the pastel striped bag...
Pastels are soooo 2 seasons ago. This spring it's metallics...

(and fur-lined fish tanks--apparently I'm behind a month on my Vogue)

EDIT: Nope, no name change, it's just that I only ever post in the Lounge *twirlysmi

Kuroshio

Large Fish
Jan 29, 2005
washington
Visit site
ok delta, let me tell you I don't even have a purse, and i AM woman. but for sure, she is a moron, and I don't think it'll fly. anyone can cut a whole in some drag queen outfit and sew in a betta cup for less than 110$!!!

Firebug

Large Fish
Jun 15, 2004
Colorado
Ohhh, that'r real alright! It disgusts me, and they already know..I sent them an e-mail! :D It's probably the best anyone can do, is to e-mail them, and tell them what you think about it. :)

Fish and insets, for some reason, don't fall under animal abuse laws, otherwise every walmart in the nation would be dinged enough that they'd have to close most of their shops( a good thing? I don't know), But I also contacted the BBB and they have said there is nothing they could do about it... sounds horrible, but there isnt anything we could do but e-mail that site. And BTW I sent the e-mail on the last post anyway

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
I sure hope all of you outraged MFT members showed the same level of outrage at the 2004 presidential election and voted 3rd party!

I think the bag is tacky too, but I doubt the fish is any worse for wear being in there as opposed to a vase or whatever else people keep them in.

Jan 19, 2005
Mesa, Arizona
My problem with this is not the idea of keeping a fish in a purse. As long as the fish is cared for you can wear it in a hat for all I care. What bothers me is that someone who's going to spend $100+ on a tacky, furry purse probably isn't likely to spend $20 to provide the little betta with a 2.5g tank to live in when it's not being toted all over town. Why bother to care for it, so long as it's alive? And when the betta dies, what else is there to do but bop down to the nearest Petsmart to spend $3.00 on a new one? The purse just doesn't look good without a pretty fish in it. [/RANT]

I hate the idea of fish (or any other animal) becoming "accessories" rather than pets. I think this is what they were trying to prevent in Italy with that dog-walking law.

Cave

Small Fish
Mar 26, 2005
Keeping a fish in a handbag is totally different to keeping it in a vase. In a handbag it's going to get shaken up, bashed around and exposed to rapidly changing temperatures as it gets carried in and out of buildings.

this site has been around for OVER a year...it pops back up on about a 3 month cycle...fish boards get up-in-arms, they get letters, the site stays the same. Because the site is EXACTLY the same as it was over a year ago...i'm not thinking they are selling these...I'm sure PETA got ahold if it and warned them off privatley...launching a product into a messy legal battle is not the way to start a business.

I think they just leave the site up now to rile us ;) lol