Jewel Cichlids? Possibly Breeding them?

Aug 3, 2010
So someone in my area is selling 7 jewel cichlids beacuse he is making room for some discus. I was thinking about buying all 7, 2 males, 5 females and putting them into a tank together. I was interested in breeding some angels but he happened to have these 7 jewels that he was willing to sell. I have a 60 gal with community fish in them and I've never had agressive fish like cichlids. My question is, is there anything I need to know about the cichlids, what to put in the tank, rocks, plants, gravel or sand, etc. And I was thinking about breeding them. Hopefully the two males will have 2 females to pair up with and the other females will act as the target fish as they protect their eggs and fry. Should i do anything to help speed up the breeding process and what do i do with the fry. i read that i needed to take them out after about ten days, but have read situations about the parents attacking each other after the fry disappear. Also what size tank would I want to keep the 7 cichlids in if i wanted to breed them? I heard 20 was decent because its small enough to keep them close but big enough to give them their own space.
Thanks for all the help in advance *thumbsups

Twiggles

Medium Fish
May 4, 2010
Well first off all I wouldn't get them, or even think about breeding them before doing as much research as you can on their requirements. Also if you're thinking of putting them in your community tank I probably wouldn't. Jewel's and all other tang cichlids like hard alkaline water and high pH, a sand substrate and lots of rocks is another must.

As for breeding though I believe the typical thing to do would be to add the 2 males and 5 females or whatever, wait until two of them pair up and remove the rest. I'm sure they would breed otherwise (as in like keeping them all together) but this way they'll produce a lot more fry I would think. If I remember correctly they're substrate/cave spawners and will sometimes use shells to house their young fry. As for tank size I would say 20 gallons might be too small, especially if you want to have 7 in there and breeding. It might be enough room if it were to just house a breeding pair but otherwise you should get a bigger tank for them. I'm going to be adding a Julidochromis species to my tang tank soon and I'm also hoping to breed some so I guess I'm in the same boat as you, I've just been waiting a long time so I've done most of my research.

Aug 3, 2010
Im not adding them to my community, theyll have their own tank. I have done some research, just wanted some tips from some people on here. I heard keeping just the pair is bad, and they need a scapegoat, most people use tetras, for the jewels to vent their anger out on, so that they dont end up killing each other

marvin

Large Fish
Jul 7, 2007
florida
first off they are jumpers and will find the smallest of room for escape..i have breed 100's my lps loves them... i would suggest a tall tank which keeps the bad guys at the top. they like corners so the can protect from both sides.. those 7 will prob. kill any thin u put in the tank mine have killed a 4 in placo.. good luck let nature take its course they are normaly prolific* breeders