Just bought 11 lbs of live rock! PICS!

JustinP

Medium Fish
Jun 8, 2005
I know what you're talking about Shipley. I have about 5 of them that hitchhiked on some Fiji LR I bought months ago. I have never been able to ID them either until Wayne said Majano. However, only one pic of Majano:
http://www.wamas.org/photos123/showphoto.php/photo/761/password/sort/1/cat/523/page/1

even slightly resembles what I have although mine doesn't have purple, it is all clear in color too. My largest one is about the diameter of a nickle when it opens up at night. During the day, they fold up into a little brownish yellow domes. They have a clear body region, clear tentacles, and round white balls at the ends of the tentacles. They kinda look like alien fingers. Mine have never moved and like I said stay closed up during the day. They don't seem to need light which is weird! They are definately not aiptasia as it seems like I've seen every aiptasia photo there is and I've heard aiptasia is extremely rare on Fiji rock anyways. I'm thinking maybe it is a juvenile form of some species of Majano. I don't mind them even though they are considered pests all over the internet but if they get out of control I will get some Joe's Juice I guess.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
it is undoubtably one of many small anemones which can come in on LR...its tough to tell if it will be a nuisance, my only advice would be if you notice it dividing/spreading rapidly to consider getting rid of it. as far as whether your clownfish will "swim" (we call that hosting) in it the answer is almost certainly no; right now it is undoubtably too small and i doubt that it will get large enough that it will