Just bought my first fishes

May 31, 2006
Hi. I have had the tank up and running for awhile now, but with no fish, since my last post (maybe 10 days ago?) Anyways I couldn't resist it. I bought some fish today for the aquarium, all fairly small. Here's what I got:

1 inch (not including tail) ryukin goldfish x 1
1 inch (not including tail) calico ryukin goldfish x 1
1 inch zebra danios x 4
1/2 inch peppered corycats x 2 these guys are cool :)

With respect to space and bioload these should be ok in a 29g tank with UGF and a power filter with plenty of little hiding spots and plants for the smaller fish and a clearing in the middle, right? Any suggestions please let me know.

P.S. I'll post a pic soon if you guys want.

noncentric

Large Fish
Feb 18, 2006
WA state
Well, the first question is going to be "is your tank cycled yet?".

Second issue is going to be that you've mixed goldfish (which are coldwater fish) with tropicals (which prefer warmer waters, but may do okay in mid 70's). What temp do you keep the tank at?

Third thing is the tank size - goldfish are pretty messy and ryukins can get fairly large 6"+, so that 29-gal is pretty packed with that fish combination. As the ryukins get bigger, they may make snacks of the other fish.

Finally, danios are usually best in schools of at least 5-6 - and cories are best in groups of at least 3 (or maybe 6).

We'll see what others have to say. :)

'-JIN-'

Large Fish
Mar 21, 2006
Penang,Malaysia
yay,goldfish will eat anythin dat feed their mouth.Most probally after few months when they get to 4 inch,u wouldnt find ur zebra anymore.For me,tetra dont really bother da water temperature unless u want to breed them.Corycat are good for them.Rememba dont add mollies,pleco or platties,they will hunt ur goldfish down.One thing,dun be suprise when 1 day u wake up,seein ur plants beeing uprooted,cause goldfish will try to chew ur plants so they will uproot them.Most ppl put fake plants for goldfish.Last thing,put some activated carbon for them,water get pretty fast cloudy with gold fish around because they eat non-stop.Hehez,bt for this while is still a peaceful tank.........gd luck

May 31, 2006
-JIN- said:
.One thing,dun be suprise when 1 day u wake up,seein ur plants beeing uprooted,cause goldfish will try to chew ur plants so they will uproot them.Most ppl put fake plants for goldfish.
I've got plastic plants, they won't uproot them will they? And already I've found the partially eaten corpses of 2 of my zebras tangled up in the plantwork. I'm thinking of returning the zebras for 2 more peppered corycats. Those little guys are neat.

ssFishHead said:
I've got plastic plants, they won't uproot them will they? And already I've found the partially eaten corpses of 2 of my zebras tangled up in the plantwork. I'm thinking of returning the zebras for 2 more peppered corycats. Those little guys are neat.
I'd return the goldfish, myself. I've heard Danios are much more entertaining.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
I got an over stocked but healthy tank. mine is overstocked with small fish with lil wast.
I got 10 neons
10 zebra danois
2 loaches
2 albino corys
1 rhino pleco
and 2 crabs in a 20 gal.
I try to stay away from the goldfish since they do cause problems. if I were you I would stick with the smaller schooling fish. looks neater with the buches of colors to me. but good luck with ur fish.

noncentric

Large Fish
Feb 18, 2006
WA state
exhumed07 said:
I got an over stocked but healthy tank. mine is overstocked with small fish with lil wast.
I got 10 neons
10 zebra danois
2 loaches
2 albino corys
1 rhino pleco
and 2 crabs in a 20 gal.
I try to stay away from the goldfish since they do cause problems. if I were you I would stick with the smaller schooling fish. looks neater with the buches of colors to me. but good luck with ur fish.
The crabs don't bother the fish? :confused:

May 4, 2006
Southern Illinois
GeraldTheMouse said:
I think they should just stop selling goldfish altogether.
Please don't 'bash' a fish just because you don't like it. It's a matter of personal preference. Personally goldfish are my favorite fish. I agree that goldfish are rather messy and require more maintenance than most realize, but they can be taken care of and kept healty with a good owner, even if they are in an aquarium.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
Dang... I wish people would quit ragging on goldfish. My goldies are my faves.... Their tank is my most stable, clearest, and best looking. It makes me feel good every time I look at it. I maintain it once a week and nitrates are never over 10 or 15. If you set up a goldie tank properly, don't overstock, provide good filtration, and maintain it, it's great.
Just like any fish, if you throw them in a box of water and hope for the best, you're only going to get out of it what you put into it... a little bit of nothing. And then go around talking like they're garbage fish or something.

May 31, 2006
I brought the danios back and picked up 4 more corycats (green corycats). And I know this is probably going to elicity hateful responses, but since goldfish and corycats are coldwater fish, I don't need a heater right? My room stays between 65 and 68 degrees constantly (small room with a window unit that runs 24/7).

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
:confused:I was under the impression that cory's are tropical...??... preferring temps in the area of 68 to 79??? :confused:
Goldfish will be fine at those temps.
:eek: ...... And I think mostly all members here try to keep hateful responses to a minimum, thank goodness :p