Just bought my first fishes

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
corys are not coldwater fish...

If it were my tank I'd pick between keeping the tropicals and keeping the goldfish. Your tank would support the two goldfish pretty well but I wouldn't suggest anymore. You are correct that you dont need a heater if you have coldwater fish.

And unfortunately in the haste to talk about goldfish, we skipped right over the fact your tank is probably not cycled...so in the light of that, I would suggest not getting anymore fish, and investing in some test kits and some time for research if you haven't already done so :)

May 31, 2006
arrrgghhh. That pet store gal said that the cories were in the tropical section cause they were mislabled. They seem to be pretty happy and active though. Will they be ok?

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
It depends on the cory species. Paleatus are fine in cooler water tanks, provided they aren't lower than ~70 or so. Some cories are actually happier in the low 80's however, so you do need to choose your species wisely. Are these aeneus? brochis? Scientific names would be of help.

Foremost, as Froggy has mentioned, you need to address the cycling issue. Where are you in that respect?

May 31, 2006
Corydoras aeneus x 4
Corydoras paleatus x 2

As for the tank cycling, I did have a single rosy red feeder fish (didn't really consider him my first fish, since I didn't plan on him living past cycling) in the tank the night I set it up, (some 12 days ago I believe). After 2 or 3 days the water got really cloudy for about a week then cleared up. The feeder has since died, but the water is pretty clear at the moment, still has a slight haze, but otherwise normal. I haven't purchased a test kit yet, but will get one next week. I should probably purchase a thermometer also (I didn't get one since I didn't initially have a heater I figured a thermometer wouldn't be of any use).

'-JIN-'

Large Fish
Mar 21, 2006
Penang,Malaysia
Hahaz,goldfish is most probaly feed cause of their cuteness.Obviously ryukin wasnt cheap,they take at least 12months to spawn.Ryukin are cute,bt sadly they r known as short time memory lost.If u feed them till full,later after 5 min,try feed them again,they will still continue eat,so my cousin call dis poor guy a stupid fish.Danios and cory are differents,they like to swim around.Choosing fish is what a individual like.And exhumed07 ur tank seems to be too pack,for dat much fish,u need at least 35gallon tank,lol it must be a bz tank,hahaz.n dont ur crab disturb ur neon???i heard crabs are omnivore so they will try to eat a small fish like ur neon.....