just terrible luck...cue the repromanding :(

ccondardo

Small Fish
Feb 21, 2009
like i said before i'm not going to kill anymore fish. the danios are still going strong. my last platy died last night. the guy at the petstore did say that i might have gotten some bad fish. i wouldnt be surprised since most of them died in a few hours. stress might have done it. also i bought test kits last night so i can do the tank properly if something else goes wrong.

ccondardo

Small Fish
Feb 21, 2009
i havent gotten my API master kit yet...but i have a ph tester which is reading between 7.0 an 7.4...

i will be able to get results for everything else soon and let you know. the danios are doing well after 48 hours, making them the longest lasting fish in the tank. they still look active.

ccondardo

Small Fish
Feb 21, 2009
thats a shame, the guy at petco convinced me of that. i'm done listening to them. i will use MFT instead, you guys are waaaaaaaaaaaay more knowledgeable. Once i get in my kit i will post up the results.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
first petco IME is terrible, petsmart the better of the 2.

Second research on here and elsewhere please dont take my word for it, I would prefer you took the time to verify what I advise.

Third, your biggest concern right now is ammonia and nitrites, those are what will kill your fish in small amounts, nitrates will always be present to some degree (once the cycle has begun in earnest) and are fatal in high doses, you really shouldnt let you nitrates go above 20ppm but 40ppm is still considered safe by most test kits. Ph can kill them if they come from a store that has a ph varying .2 difference and you do not acclimate properly, I always test the water in the bags so I know how to properly acclimate to my tanks before adding new additions. Once you have your tank established the ph will remain fairly the same as long as you do proper maintenance and unless trying to breed certain species you should avoid adjusting it at all.

Last edited:

hari-goshi

Medium Fish
Jan 17, 2009
thats a shame, the guy at petco convinced me of that. i'm done listening to them. i will use MFT instead, you guys are waaaaaaaaaaaay more knowledgeable. Once i get in my kit i will post up the results.
Brian1973 is right. Petco is the last place you would want to go for aquarium advice. For the most part those people are uneducated on the subject , or just out to make a sale. I still shop there because they have incredible deals on equipment/supplies from time to time , but i pass on their livestock as they are usually near death anyway.