Keeping it cool

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
Currently my tank runs a little warm. Not sure why just does. So I have no top on the tank with a fan blowing accross it. I'm going to be getting a firefish next week and I know I need to provide a tight fitting lid. How can I keep the water cool if I have a lid on the tank?

Do powerheads produce a lot of heat? I have 2 penguin 660 and 1 maxi-jet 1200. The temp right now is in the lower 80s.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
How high does the temp go when the lid is on?

Every piece of equipment on our tanks produce heat, power heads and pumps are one of the worst sources for unwanted heat right next to your lighting. If it is sitting directly on the canopy you can try rigging the light so that it sits a couple of inches off of it. That should help some too.

Dropping the temp of your house will also help. If your temps get to high and you can't control them especially during the summer months, you may have to look into getting a chiller.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Instead of pushing the light back, put something under the ends of it to actually lift it up off of the glass. Having it up an inch or 2 will help keep it from directly transferring it's heat into your tank.

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
EDIT: Just found a decent article. I don't have the fan blowing across the water since I need to rig something up to hold it there. It's sitting on top of my bar about 5 feet from the tank. I'll move it closer and see what happens.

Article: Beat the Heat: Aquarium Cooling Methods by Kevin Kocot - Reefkeeping.com

Actually, I have my light hanging from the wall. See the pic. I can just raise it up some. I have tried that before and it does help a little. I'm just worried about my cleaner shrimp and when I get my firefish.

Last edited:

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Well then that blows my lifting it up plan outa the water..errm or is that tank? Yes the fan needs to be directly over the water for it to help.

You may just need to hold of on known jumpers until you can afford a chiller.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
go to lowes or home depot and buy egg crate. It is plastic light diffuser used commercially for florescent lights. This can be cut to fit perfectly over the water and around any cords or hob filters/skimmers. The amount of light is not adversely affected and it keeps jumpers inthe tank. You will find a lot of people using the egg crate on here. It is about $10 for a sheet about 3 x 6 feet

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I will definitely be trying that, thanks. If I put that on my tank will the fan still be beneficial? I have a cover for my tank, but it's arcylic and if I have the cover on the use of my fan is completely useless. If I take it off then I have to worry about little fishie jumping ship.

Last edited:

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
I don't understand why you'd want glass on a saltwater tank anyway. All it does is block out a good amount of light (other covers do it less) and traps heat.
You should try some eggcrate, which can be found in the lighting section of a home improvement store. It's easy to clean, lightweight, and open so heat can escape. It will also keep your jumpers secure.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Exactly what I was saying...it isn't expensive and it comes in various colours......though ours only had white. I cut it to fit with scissors. The fans will still work and cool it even more.

Jul 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
Would it be safe to paint eggcrate with a vinyl-type paint? (i.e. if I wanted to match my eggcrate to my tank trim)

Joe: If the firefish is able to get through the eggcrate, you may have to put plastic screening over the top. This is what my LFS has to do over their jawfish and firefish tanks.

Last edited:

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
If your basem,ent isn't that warm I'm surprised you're getting that hot with just fluorescents and those powerheads, but certainly a fan and some eggcrate are a good idea. Beware your evaporation will take off a bit.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Kahluazz try freezing water in a 2litre pop bottle. Add this to your tank and it should cool it down slowly.......that is what I do in emergencies......if you have a small tank use a 1litre ......works like a charm

Kevin I have heard of people painting the eggcrate, I thought I would paint mine black to match the trim, but you can't really see it so I haven't bothered.....I am not sure what type of paint to use though.....

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
Think i'm going to look into a force air conditioner for my house instead. I have been using the fan method which has been working great. I've been wanting to put in forced air anyway. So the acrlyic I have covering my tank now, well used to, prevent light from going in? I figured it was keeping the tank warmer than it should of been. I'm going to look for some egg create this week.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
with this heat wave we are having I thank goodness for central air each and every day. Though the a/c is running constantly I am trying to keep it at about 76 so my tanks don't heat up.......So far so good. though my 20 is getting the brunt of it, no one looks stressed yet......

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
Any chance someone could post a PIC of this egg crate stuff? I'm looking to get a firefish soon and I want to have something on top of the tank first. I'm going tomorrow to probably get a lawnmower blenny. Should I have a supplement food supply for them? Like algae wafers?

I need to make sure I can still use a fan to cool my tank until I get central air, hopefully by the end of the week. I already lost 2 snails and I'm thinking it's because of the warmer water. I have a glass thermometer, which I found out is a little off. I have been using a digial needle one that I use for cooking. The warmest I've seen it has been 82, still a little too much for me.

Last edited: