lighting delima

Franky099

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
southern Ohio
www.aquabid.com
OK....someone...please...explain bulbs to me.  what is this T-8 and T-12 stuff?  On my 55, I have 2 hoods, I forget the length at the moment, and each hood holds 2 lights.  I want MAXIMUM light!!  Someone help me out here, and tell me what I should get (In the way of bulbs).
THANKS!
Amy

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
T8 fluorescent have a diameter of 1".
T12 fluorescent have a diameter of 1.5".

We usually use the T12 in our homes and offices.  T8 are slimmer and can hold more bulb and Europeans use these more than us.

http://www.aquabotanic.com/artlit.htm

R

ronrca

Depending on the fixture, you can use T8 or T12's. My lights can use both and imo, I like the T8 better. I have read that T8 are slightly better than T12 because of the smaller diameter.

Oct 22, 2002
I assume your 55 is 48" long?
If you want to go the $$ route then buy a fitted 160 watt hood for around 200-300$

If your a budget minded individual like myself you'll benefit from the following DIY project:
Proceed to your nearest home depot. Pick yourself up a pair of the cheapest 48" light fixtures you can find (should be in the 7$ price range) make sure to get the ones with the bulbs as close together as possible and without any type of reflective canopy over them (or at least one that can easily be removed!)
measure your tank and figure out how much wood you'll need to build a wooden hook. angle the two dual light fixtures in an upside down V shape within the wooden box you've made. Screw together and your complete.
Simple, efficient, under 30$ for 160 watts.