Live rock and sand

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Real live sand is very good, but the bagged live sand most people buy (because it's all they can get ) is almost effectively dead, and a waste of money. Thus the liking for buying sugar fine sand from Home Depot and such.
It's preferable to get aragonite sand if you can, but it's barely worth fussing over if all you can get is 'common' silica sand.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Oh and the book is "The Concientious Marine Aquariust" by Robert Fenner. It is my second favourite book second to "The New Marine Aquariust" by Mike Paletta. Both are standards and are easy to read. The Paletta book is better on tank set ups and equipment and the Fenner is better on livestock, then again that is my opinion. One couldn't go wrong reading both.....

I have a dsb and used Fiji pink aragonite.......it isn't really pink but has flecks of pinkish sand in it.......I mixed my sand types in my 75 1/2 and 1/2 with the Bahama oolite........some say not to do that, but that is all I could get at the time. By now it is throroughly mixed complements of my sand sifting gobie.....