Long Finned Zebra Danio!

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
They are fun and active fish. If you keep them in a school of 5 or more they play pretty much all day at the top of the tank. They are quite greedy with food, so if you have slow fish you have to make sure they get food and that you don't overfeed the danios. They are also very hardy, and great for beginners. The long finned ones are really pretty and if you want you can mix the zebras with the leopard ones.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
When we got our danios they were on sale at Petsmart for $0.69. At that price, it is a lot cheaper to buy them than to breed them. If you want to breed a few fish for the fun of it, or to sell a few, livebearers (guppies, mollies, platies, swordtails and endlers) are probably a lot easier. We got our swordtails on sale at Petco for $1.99. I still find the concept of live animals "on sale" a little strange.

Angelfish

Superstar Fish
Apr 14, 2003
Valencia, California.
I have a long finned zebra in my 10 gal. with the goldies. Sadly he doesnt have any zebra friends, I rescued him from my neighbors 1 gal. that he shared with a guppy :( I would love to add more long finned zebra danios for him, but I just dont have the room in that tank.
I too think they are a very cool looking fish, although my bf thinks they are one of the most ugly FW fish! Also you are all getting really good deals on your long finned zebras, over here they are $2.49 each!

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
The $0.69 we paid was this year, in August, I think. I guess sometimes the chains get a big shipment of one kind of fish, and put them on sale. Even at $0.99 or $1.50 they're not a bad buy. You could spend forever (and a whole lot of gas money) driving around to different stores to get the best price on each fish, sometimes it's better just to buy the healthy fish where you find them, and not worry about a 50 cent price difference.