Long Finned Zebra Danio!

fish

Small Fish
Aug 29, 2003
Massachusetts
Visit site
Actually, I think that they are hardy. I have two longfinned zebras and a leopard and they have been working really hard at getting the tank cycled. Especially since I have very high pH and hard water. They are doing great! I love them. I got mine at petco as well and paid 0.99 for them.

Sep 16, 2005
matt: first off, welcome to the tank!

secondly, you probably should have posted your own thread for this one instead of tacking it on as a reply to a completely unrelated discussion. not scolding you... but you're more apt to get replies when you start your own discussions =)

now, the bad news: two pictus cats in a ten gallon sounds like a very bad idea. they don't have enough horizontal swimming room in there to thrive... especially when they grow to full size (recommended minimum tank size for them is 55 gallons). i would take those guys back or get a bigger tank before you even think about adding a big, poopy pleco to the ranks.

the "freshwater fish profiles" tab at the top of the page is a good resource to get you started in looking at the basic requirements, temperament, average prices paid, and other people's experiences with the fish you're thinking about getting.

Nov 3, 2005
New York
Cat Fish

Thanx
Pet store told me that the catfish would be ok in a 10gal, told me if i wanted to add more fish to just go with two more danios and thats it, also, bought a cave for the catfish cuz they are loking for a place to hide but not using the cave at all, will it take time for them to use it?

Shaunna

Large Fish
Oct 6, 2005
Ohio
Start your own thread called "a few quick questions" or something along those terms and list all of your questions and more people will get back to you. Not everyone reads all the new posts and you won't get as many viewers if you keep posting in older threads on unrelated topics. ;)

Oct 4, 2005
Kentucky
matt201985 said:
would a used 30gal reptile tank be ok to use for a fish tank? would it be contaminated?
would it be contaminated? NO not if you used PURE ammonia to clean it with.

Most of the time no. terrariums tanks are usually have thinner glass/acrylic then most fish tanks. As a gallon of water weighs about 8 pound. You can test it out but the chances are its gonna bust the glass/acrylic.

It needs to be atleast 1/2 inch for both glass and acrylic. For it not to bust

Last edited:

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
A lot of reptile tanks are not designed to hold water...so first thing you need to do is check the tank to see if it will actually hold water. (like titan said, oops sorry didn't see the 2nd page) If it does I would leave it set up somewhere for a few days just to be sure...and then clean it out really well with hot chlorinated water (no soap!).

It sounds to me like the person at your local store doesn't know much what they're talking about if they said that you can put two pictus in a 10G tank with two danios. Your pictus probably aren't looking for a place to hide its more likely that they're just swimming around like mad because they're in such a small space. Danios are great in groups...not so great in pairs.