Lots of Questions

Okay now I have an assorted variation of questions. So here they go:

1) How can I update my flourescent lighting on my 10g? As of now I have 1.5 wpg and I want to attempt to keep Banana Plants.

2) How many wpg does a Banana Plant need?

3) What is better, a canister filter or a HOB filter? And out of the your opinion the best brand(for either HOB or CF)?

4) What do you prefer for a good way to "give away" 2 comet goldfish? I dont have the funds at the time to care/keep them.

5) My friend turns his lights off at night. Is that a normal thing to do? I wouldnt understand how a fish would see at night.

Thanks for all the replies in advanced!

Last edited:

Mahamotorworks

Superstar Fish
Aug 26, 2006
Thule, Greenland
www.myspace.com
A pond isnt cheap. I say ask the LFS to see of they will take them back. If you want to have a planted 10G then you really dont need a Canister filter. Just get a HOB that is for a bigger tank. Aqua Clear are really good. Do you have screwing bulb lights over your 10G? If so get the Floresent Screw in bulbs. It would be the easiest way to upgrade light. If not look to find one. Most people turn their lights off at night. It is natural.

MAHA

GIS Guy

Superstar Fish
Feb 18, 2004
East-Central Illinois
Visit site
Take the gfish to the lfs.
I see plenty of large gfish at mine, presumably traded in.

On the lighting, if is it screw-in, just buy higher wattage flours.
If not, then purchase a new light fixture for incan. and put flours in it.

I would also suggest a light timer.
You can then set the amount of light your tank receives.
It eliminates the randomness of you turning it on and off.
I got mine for $5 from........WalMart.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Definitely turn the lights off at night... fish need to sleep too. You could ask around if anyone has a pond and wants the goldies, or otherwise return them to the store. A canister filter provides better filtration than a HOB, but I don't think they are made for 10g tanks... they are for larger tanks. The HOB is easier to change and run than a canister, and a whole lot cheaper. I've got a nice Regent brand HOB, not sure what main brand that is an offshoot of...

Sep 6, 2006
St Louis
I have moon lighting for my big tank at night, that way I can see the fish but they can still sleep. I just turn the light off completely in the 10 gal. and am going to get moon lighting for the 30gal.

My smaller tanks both have HOB filters, the big one has a canister. I love the canister for a big tank, you can put lots of different filter media in there and it goes under the stand so you can push the tank almost all the way up to the wall (I have an XP3, it's awesome).

As far as your goldfish, if you don't want them anymore for any reason, don't feel obligated to keep them. Take them to the lfs, you'll get a little bit of cash or store credit and then the lfs can deal with finding them a new home.

Fuzz16 said:
thats only local lfs though, right?
the ones around here, petland, petco, petsmart, wont take fish from people only companies. which really sucks
That is true. Around here is only petsmart and places like that. And it has been really bad weather around here and causing havoc on the buses. I will put an add out and ask around to see if anyone would take it. One had just died last night.

Now I dont have a screwy type lighting, like the incandescent. But finding one shouldnt be a problem.

I was always keeping the light on at night. Due to the people at petsmart telling me that the light will be best turned on at night. :mad:

I will try to get a $25 AC HOB 20 filter because they seem to be a favorite filter over at petsmart.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Ugh, don't take any advice from the kids that work at PetSmart or Petco. I didn't think there were any good pet shops around here with fish besides the chains until I looked at a yellowpages. I'm SURE you have something near sacarmento.

Nov 14, 2006
Hello...!! I am new..!!

Hi..Guys...!!!

This is my first post on Yours site. Thank you in advance for all possible answers.
I am From USA
Nice day is it today, but I have a question for all...

In first , how i post message to PM...???

Thank you very much!
Mark. G..!!

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Ok, but seriously, what do you do with an 8" overgrown comet goldfish??? Besides put them in a pond of course. My LFS has had the same overgrown goldfish forever, they have them marked at $26.00 a piece. If some soccer mom is going to buy it and plop it in a bowl, oye...It would barely fit.