Loud Filter Probs

chooks

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Hi Folks,
I recently bought a Filstar Xp2 after reading about how quiet and convenient it is.  If anyone else has this filter, I would like to know if you think it is particularly noisy.  Mine is WAY louder than my old whisper filter, and almost outcompetes my refrigerator as the loudest appliance in the house(I can hear it humming from 2 rooms away).  Has anyone else had this problem?  I expected it to make no noise, maybe mine isn't working right!!

PS.  besides the noise, this is a great filter so far.  It clears the suspended junk out of my water really fast.  The way the baskets are set up, it should be really easy to clean..

R

ronrca

Check your impellar to see if there is any junk in it. I had the same problem and when I took everything apart, the impellar had cracked and a little piece of magnetic was rubbing around in the impellar housing. After I took it out and replaced the impellar, it now rans very quiet.

R

ronrca

Check with the place you bought the filter. If the impellar is cracked and you just bought the filter, they should replace it for free under warrenty. If not, e-mail Aquarium Pharm. and tell them the problem. Thats what I had to do and they sent me a free impellar.

chooks

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Thanks for the advice everyone...I'll be writing them right away.

A question for ronrca,  while the filter is on, is it about as loud as an air pump, or pretty much silent?

Thanks Muchachos