mhhh...

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Hi guys..i have a killer in my tank. I lost a scarlet skunk shrimp last week she was ok during the night, found an empty skeleton the morning. This morning my firefish was missing. He was fat, colorful and healthy yesterday.
Didn't find any dead fish, no ammonia, no weird smell...no fish jumped out.
Could a huge bristleworm grab an ultra speedy firefish ?!?
I don't hear click noises like mantis do...but i have some bristleworms.
My other fishies were always friendly with the firefish and he was only 2 years old. I'm worrying now that i lost 3 inhabitants during the last month, and they were all healthy.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
that is really odd K. I know you said you haven't heard the popping...any chance it is a spearer that showed up? have you gotten any new LR lately? It seems conceivable that a bristleworm could get a sleeping firefish...especially if it was a toxic one which stung it.

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
could be a spearer..dunno...still no ammonia and no trace.
Well yup i added some Sulewasi and Fiji rocks from old tanks. Since then, bristleworms problems and aiptasia + majano party..kinda sucks since i added it, even Joe is having problem getting rid of some.

Lorna, it looked more than a molted exoskeleton...got some stuff attached with it. At first i tough " hey this cleaner was old ", like 2y and a half in my tank + she was already a medium size when i bought it and since they live around 3 years in a tank usually..
My sump is higher than my tank, so there's no way the firefish could have been sucked in the overflow

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
that sucks.....sorry to hear about that. You are sure he didn't jump? I had my midas blenny go floor surfing through eggcrate, go figure. I heard of a person finding a dried up chip on the back of their tank that turned out to be a missing fish.......poor thing.

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
In the artical it states somthing about the worms only eating the dead flesh of some corals, clams and that they do not actually kill them. They have no teeth and actually have to slup up the food... I don't remember the whole artical but you should really read it, it's a very interesting artical on the fireworms.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I have Marshall Island and suffice to say....I haven't seen a bristle worm though I did have a "Hairy the Crab" who is still residing in my live rock and doesn't really bother anyone or anything.......just get glimpses of him occasionally at feeding time or at night.