Mom forgot to feed oscar today....

Sep 30, 2010
California
facebook.com
ok your post was "I talked to the guy at petsmart", and no intelligent fish keeper is going to tell you not to do a water change for a FEW weeks based on ONE water test, even with an established tank you should test weekly especially when you are new to the hobby.. EVERYONE here has told you this repeatedly so please for the sake of the fish take the advice your asking for. We are here to help you.
no what he told me is that for the first two months not to do a water change because the fish tank is still in its cycling process and me doing a water change right now would just upset the oscar even more. they said i was over feeding him and that he should be fine on sunday they told me to keep the light off and stay away from the glass as much as possible.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
...glass bit makes kinda sense, but that goes for any surface in your tank, and in your filter. if you are overfeeding him, try peas in case he's constipated, but i doubt that. YOU NEED A LIQUID TEST KIT NOW. these are the times where it really pays to have one. you can test your water every couple of days and see when the ammonia and/or nitrites go near 1ppm+. when you see that, you need to do a water change. it will somewhat prolong the cycle, but your fish will not get killed like when you just wait. you chose to basically do a fish in cycle by not testing your water right before and after you added the fish. you also should have done one fish at a time and tested two weeks after you added the first fish for signs of improper water conditions. don't rely on the store employee to say that your water is fine. do the tests on your own.

Feb 27, 2009
he told me not to do a water change for atleast a few weeks because my levels are perfect.
A fish store told you NOT to do water changes for a couple of weeks? So if you have ammonia and/or nitrite spikes, just let the fish suffer the consequences of that?

What numbers in PPM is 'perfect'? If your 'levels are perfect,' than what harm can come from doing a water change?

I smell something fishy.

*makes mental not not to go to Randy's*

Good luck with your tank.

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
no what he told me is that for the first two months not to do a water change because the fish tank is still in its cycling process and me doing a water change right now would just upset the oscar even more. they said i was over feeding him and that he should be fine on sunday they told me to keep the light off and stay away from the glass as much as possible.
This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. It's obvious that this employee knows nothing about cycling or keeping fish. Even in a well-established and cycled tank, if you do not change the water for two months, your fish WILL DIE from DEADLY levels of nitrates. You NEED to test your water DAILY with YOUR VERY OWN liquid test kit. If the levels are not 0 ammonia, 0 nitrIte and between 1 and 20 nitrAte, then you need to do a water change. It does not matter if your fish are very small; your tank is very overstocked any you need to monitor the levels daily until it cycles.
The biggest beginners mistake is wanting to listen to pet store employees. Pet store employees are paid weekly whether they know two cents about fish or care about animals. Employees do not care about you fish; they want them to die so you will come crying to the store to buy a replacement fish, hence giving them more money. It is VERY rare to find an employee that actually knows anything about fish or cares about animals over making a sale. It is easier to listen to employees because they give you terrible advice that sounds easy to follow. "Sure, you can add an Oscar and a 20 inch plecostomus to your tiny 15 gallon tank. It's not like fish grow. They'll be fine." The truth is that you need a test kit. An employee will tell you that your water is "fine" even if it's not. If you do not want to invest $30 in a test kit that will last over a year and allow you to keep your fish healthy, that's your loss. But if you'd like to visit the store to have your water tested daily until it cycles and then weekly after it is established, tell the employee to write the EXACT readings for ammonia, nitrate and nitrite on a piece of paper.

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
test kits are as low as $15; one-piece ones are generally $5 and you can often find them cheaper online. If you have a friend with one, you could at the very least borrow that. Your fish are suffering, and it's not right. Don't get your water tested there if they won't write it out. Just because somebody is an employee does NOT mean they have any clue as to what they're doing. They just want sales, and that's that. If they said "yeah you don't need another water change for many weeks", especially with your stocking, you should take that as a hint.
Your "Lippy" and "Sharkbait" need a bigger tank much, much sooner than 6months. A well-cared for oscar can grow as much as 2" a month! So, in 6 months your tank is polluted and your fish can't even turn around, unless they're stunted before that (stunting is when a fish does not have the room to grow and stops; but the internal organs continue to grow, therefor the fish dies, incase you didn't know.)
I reccomend a water change until you get your test kit.

Feb 27, 2009
i am broke right now i would go buy a liquid test kit but i dont have the 30 especially not after spending over 100 in just getting the fish and the the food along with the extras..........i know the guy is a dumbass at randys
What are the readings Randy's says the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are at? They should be able to tell you actual numbers in parts per million (PPM).

As already mentioned, if ammonia is over 0, nitrite is over 0, and nitrate were over 20, you need to do water changes to keep them low for the health of your fish.

Sep 30, 2010
California
facebook.com
ill go in monday and see if i could get the level write out and i dont think the levels is whats wrong because the pleco is fine...i have actually been crying though because this week is hell my fish is in pain and my 74 year old grandmother has had ammonia :( my life sucks right now im going to hope the fish survives but i hate seing it in pain like this he is doing circles on the bottom i guess thats a sign of pain... there quite fast too i feel so bad for the little guy i am doing 75% water changes everyday until i can get the test kit

Update: i posted a pic for all you too see and tell me what you think please do not critize me even though i deserve every single word of it, this is my first time trying to have fish and i never thought it would end up like this i feel so bad and i feel like a deuce for making the little guy suffer but i dont know how to make it were he doesnt have pain....i mean if hes gonna die let him die really fast so he doesnt have pain anyways im gonna try my hardest to recover him and im going to put everydime i get towards a test kit remember im only 17 :((((

Last edited:

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
I'm sorry you lost sharkbait. Without seeing proper water tests my best guess is ammonia poisoning killed him due to an uncycled tank. I know plecos are supposed to be pretty tough, but ammonia poisoning can kill them too.

Good luck on getting your water tested.

Sep 30, 2010
California
facebook.com
I'm sorry you lost sharkbait. Without seeing proper water tests my best guess is ammonia poisoning killed him due to an uncycled tank. I know plecos are supposed to be pretty tough, but ammonia poisoning can kill them too.

Good luck on getting your water tested.
the guy at the shop told me that the levels wernt perfect but he said there is nothing thats way to high that could be causing the oscar to die but u cant really trust him im gonna buy a test kit for my own

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
Sorry I am going to be long winded here, and I will not beat you up, stuff happens and as a newbie the mistakes your making are common. Sorry for the loss, I saw that updated after I posted my response

It looks like it is laying flat out on its side, it looks like it is going to die. Oscars are very sensitive to water parameters especially when they are young. My large pleco was adopted from my sister in law who had it in a 20G long tank for 2yrs without a single water change, when I got it it was about 5in long and living in 4 inches of black water, so in my experience plecos are very tough. The pleco is now over a foot long in my 90G tank. The reason I am telling you that story is a perfect example of how one fish can survive horrid conditions that will kill other fish. If it had something white hanging out of it that my be an internal parasite but I have no experience with constipated fish so I dont know if that is a symptom of that.

I will still stand behind your tank being sufficient for the current size of your fish as long as your being diligent with water changes, LARGE water changes properly treated with dechlorinator and temperature matched as close as you can get it.

Back in November and December of 2009 issues of Tropical Fish Hobbiest there was a 2 part article titled -- Time for a Change: A Mathematical Investigation of Water Changes. It gives alot of information on water changes and how much you should do rather than what is commonly recommended, you can try to Google it and see if anything comes up but I will summarize a couple key things I took from the article. 20% weekly water changes are not adequate regardless of stocking, larger weekly water changes of 50% or more should be the norm, it does go into the science behind this theory but I wont get into that. It also explains that water added straight from the tap has a high concentration of oxygen, and if not diffused before adding it or while adding it it can cause oxygen levels in fish to rise quickly basically giving fish the "bends". I use a python and diffuse the water by spraying it against the tank glass or driftwood while adding it, basically out gasing the high oxygen content. Another part of the article is the 5 gallon oscar tank experiment which I found to be very educational and confirms some of my theories, that water parameters effect health more than tank size. In this experiment the author keeps a large number of oscars in a large tank but essentially there is 5 gallons of water for each oscar. He does this by doing daily 100% water changes. When I was a kid just getting into fish i raised an oscar to adult size in a 10G tank, while I would never recommend that now as a novice we all make mistakes, you are taking the proper steps to help your fish and you wont find any better advice than that on these forums and current books/ magazines on the market. I would recommend reading some of the fish magazines out there, while we give information based on experience the people writing these articles are doing some of it solely for research so you will get more scientific information than just what has been passed down from member to member on these type of forums.

I personally do things different from everyone here and I have been for many years so it isnt going to change unless I experience an issue, I rinse my filters in tap water, I refill my canisters from the tap as well so I dont have to prime them after every cleaning. The bacteria live on every surface of the tank so even if there is enough chlorine to kill them off in the filter the tank will repopulate very quickly, I have heard that they replicate every 1/2 hour some others will say every 8 hours, I can tell you I have never had any issues with water quality that resulted from my maintenance requiem, I have had issue with my own negligence and lack of proper maintenance. Plus I would need several buckets of tank water to clean my canister filter cartridges, I use prefilled carbon floss bags in my HOB filters as a matter of convienece and change them out couple months when I notice the flow has decreased or the water is bypassing over it, I have had disasters from waiting until they are falling apart. I also clean the filter components with tap water. THIS IS WHAT WORKS FOR ME, everyone has their own theories and ways of doing things and what works for me may not work for you. Many theories on forums are based on this what everyone else says so it must be right were I want to see the science behind those recommendations.

Ok sorry this is so long winded and I hope I didnt overload you with information, just remember your trying to provide the best home possible for your fish but sometimes things dont go well so just stick with it, If the oscar doesnt make it try going with fish that are more appropriate for the size tank you have now.

Heres a link to a forum discussing the water change article i mentioned earlier in this post. http://www.aka.org/aka/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=4471&topic_id=1103

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2010
California
facebook.com
ok this has showed me more info i really want another tiger oscar though :( i am willing to wait until i get a test kit to get one and or wait until the pleco gets big enough and i get a 55-90 gallon tank but im going to get a liquid test kit soon until then how often and how much should i change the water?

also when i pulled out my dead oscar he was pretty slimy? what is this????? the filter gets slimy fast too is this because of the cucumber?

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
The only remote way it would be because of the cucumber is if you're leaving it in for 24+ hours.

For a little perspective, I'm sure most of us have had many more fish die on them than you have. It happens in spite of us trying to do everything we can to keep them alive and happy.