• Other ( Please state what type)

Votes: 5 22.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
It's all personal choice really, but I (personally) woulden't put tiger barbs or danios in a 10gal, they are really active fish and prefer alot of room to swim around, plus tigerbarbs are much better when in groups of 6+, which won't work in a 10gal.

I suggest one centerpiece fish (Ram, Krib, dwarf gourami, betta etc...) and 1 small school of small bodied tetras (Neons, cardinals, glowlights, etc...). Few otos can be added as well, they are the best little cleaners and add virtually nothing to the bio load.

roweb_13

Small Fish
Oct 28, 2006
Thanks VirgoWolf that is an Amazing idea but would the Ram( being a semi-aggressive fish) not attack the tetra's or would he leave them alone, Also how many Tetras do you suggest, 7-8?

Sep 16, 2005
tiger barbs should be kept in schools.. and they get too big to be kept in a 10g in my opinion.

the tetra/oto idea is a good one... i also like virgowolf's idea of one "centerpiece" fish and choosing a small school around him/her. corydoras are also a cute option if you're iffy about the tetras. white clouds are also a tetra-ey fish, which are hardy and less nippy than danios.

i'd say a more conservative tetra count (4-6) would fill your tank up nicely. :)

Last edited:

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I think a small school of harlequin rasboras and an oto would make a nice tank. Getting small groups or more than one type of schooling fish in a small tank isn't going to make for a happy tank or a nice display.

I'd say that you should stick to one school (tetras or rasboras) and possibly an oto.

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
I have a pair of rams in with some neons, they do great, I have not seen any aggression at all from my rams.

I am setting up a 10gal right now for my nephew, centerpiece is a male Kirb and I also have 5 black neons in there, it's a great combo, but then again I have my rams with neons and it seems to bring out the blue in the rams, so whatever you choose will work out fine as long as they are compatable. Just go by what you want to see in your tank.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
I think that if you want to eventually add a GBR, black neons will really show off his colors. Regular neons might wash him out. I would get that tank cycled, add 3 black neons, wait two weeks, test water, then add another 3 black neons, wait a couple weeks, test water, then add the otto (remember you'll probably have to supplement his food with algae disks, otherwise he'll starve in a new tank), then after awhile, make sure all water params are perfect, you can introduce the GBR. Make sure you read up on all of these fish. :) Get us pics and updates!

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
I agree with MissFishy, I would not give up on the GBR because they are sensitive, just make sure the tank is established before you add him. I don't think the neons wash out the GBR though, I have neons in with mine and I think it looks great, it's almost like the rams are trying to get brighter to compete with the neons, or maybe it just seems that way? But I do think black neons or Von Rio tetras would make a GBR pop though.

roweb_13

Small Fish
Oct 28, 2006
Thanks , I was going to do that any ways but I have one last question ? Do different Tetras school with each other ( Example, 3 Emporers will school with 3 Black Neons

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
It depends, but honestly, it's not the best choice for a small tank. You always want as big of a school as you can get with small tanks, and making 2 different schools limits your numbers dramaicly. I can't be positive, but I am assuming they woulden't school together, I have black neons and glowlights and assumed they would school together, but they don't. I think for the appearances of the tank and the wellbeing of the fish, I would stick with 1 type of schooling fish.