movin on up

Mar 13, 2009
Poconos, PA
bleach ...really? I guess its
true... if you and probaly others have used it with no problems. It just sounded off/scary to me. I thought vinegar would be the best solution.

Learn something new everyday ; 0 )

iexiak

Medium Fish
Jan 13, 2008
yeah i used vinegar and bleach, just to be sure. i let its sit and dry for like 3 days, so im pretty sure all the chemicals have evaporated.

thanks for all the compliments.

iexiak

Medium Fish
Jan 13, 2008
well the fish seem to be doing fine so i think no bleach poisoning happened.

new terrain! full tank shot:

close up of the rocks:

and my 2 new fish:

total fish count = 6: oscar, jack dempsey, 3x cichlids that i dont know the name of (should really write those down...), and a new pleco (i know itll probably get to big, but i really like them...)

Jun 21, 2008
Is that an NES in there? Interesting choice. I wish I still had mine, although who knows if it would even still work. I guess it's safe, although I'm not sure if the paint or anything would be bad, but it looks kind of cool. And I'm assuming they don't have capacitors like old tvs do that can hold a charge? Congrats on your new tank.

iexiak

Medium Fish
Jan 13, 2008
woot finally got the canister filter to run without leaking! as it turns out, every single o-ring on it needed replaced...so i wrapped them all in plastic wrap, and that stopped the leak..

but i still have a problem with it. it has 1 intake tube, and 1 output tube at the bottom. the output tube splits at a t, and one end connects to a "diffuser" which flows out underneath of the water. the other end connects to another t, and on each end of the t is a bio-wheel filter.

the "diffuser" works...however the biowheel filter does nothing, the water stops approximately an inch before it gets to the second t.

marineland magnum 350 is what it is, heres a pic:

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
seems like the wpg isnt high enough to force it to the biowheel... what happens when you plug up the diffuser end? I think the biowheel is important for this canister cause it doesn't look too big...

iexiak

Medium Fish
Jan 13, 2008
i tried that but its hard to do...ill get something that i can do that with tomorrow...(cover it in plastic wrap maybe?)

i believe that it just doesnt have enough pressure to make it there. i tried lowering it some and it started to go, but then when i put it back on the tank it stopped again.

this leads me to believe that if i can get it to start and fill with water it may begin a syphon effect (hopefully)...

could it be that i just need to shorten the tube? it literally pushes the water to an inch below where it needs to get to start going through...