Mushroom fragging questions

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
I know these are easy to frag and pretty tough to really destroy but i wanna make sure i do it right. One of my mushrooms is getting a little to big so i want to cut it down to size and get some smaller ones out of it.

Having only a 2.5gal tank its hard to reach my hands in and acctually work inside the tank so i'll be taking the whole shroom rock out of the water or at least putting it in another container to slice the mushrooms off. Do i want to slice them off the rock all the way at the rock or up their neck or stalk (lack of a better term) a little ways? Or right under the head and leave their "stalk" on the rock?

Secondly i should dice it up like a pizza with a little bit of the mouth in each piece if possible correct?

Then add them to a container filled with rubble or crushed coral inside the tank with netting over the top so they won't blow. Any suggestions on what type of netting other then bridal veil?

Jan 16, 2004
Syracuse, NY
Yeah. You could either just cut off pieces or slice it like a pizza (sometimes hard to do if its on a craggy rock). Either way.

You can cut em and leave the stems on the rock or scrape them off

As for netting you can get a cheap fish net and cut it up or just place it over.

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
Yeah. You could either just cut off pieces or slice it like a pizza (sometimes hard to do if its on a craggy rock). Either way.

You can cut em and leave the stems on the rock or scrape them off

As for netting you can get a cheap fish net and cut it up or just place it over.
Oh! Didn't even think of the fish net, awesome i have one tearing up anyway. Thanks for the suggestion.

Will the stems grow into new mushrooms or are they pretty much doomed to die off after the head is gone?

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
if it doesnt have the mouth does it use DNA and proteins to reconstruct a new mouth? or does it just just melt away?

btw i saw some guy cut a shroom that was about the size of a quarter into 6 pieces with success. i was pretty shocked. pretty good deal. buy one and get 6...

ram man

Superstar Fish
Apr 16, 2005
Arizona
i have a shroom the size of a quarter right now, i mgiht just frag it tommorow, ill get a piece with no mouth and let every one know how it goes.

Helena21

Superstar Fish
Oct 7, 2005
Essex, England
i was looking on this site the other day, if you click and hover over the pics on the right hand size you will find a vid about fragging mushrooms on the second to bottom row.

Its a really good vid and it shows you how to do everything. Reef Videos

Last edited:

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
good video.. i have a pretty big hairy mushroom that i might try this on.. i was hoping they would split on their own but if they don't in the next month or so ill probably do this..

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
ive done this several times recently and heres what ive learned
first of all if you dont get a piece of the mouth it will definitly without a doubt shrivel up and die ;) the first few times i did it was to a couple single ricordas i picked up (2 have become 6) i had good success but i tried it again a few weeks back and i got a little greedy and tried to cut them into even smaller pieces and they all shriveled up :eek: moral to the story i guess take it slow dont get greedy

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
I'd love to frag my Ric, just scared to haha. The mushrooms are easily replaceable....the Ric is a little harder/more expensive. Might take a chance though after i do a mushroom for practice.

Gotta go to target to get a few things before i do it. A nice shallow rubbermaid would be good to frag in and hold frags while i frag. Also need some razor blades.

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
Well i fragged one mushroom into 4-5 slices. They look all shriveled right now...not sure if thats good.

I'm not sure they are getting, or need much flow in the cup with rubble/crushed coral in it but we'll see how it goes.

Tonight i can see why i need to upgrade to a larger tank. ;)

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
Heres a pic of when i did the deed. Emo Mushrooms!

So far 3-4 of the pieces have attached to rocks and are doing good. 2 of the bigger pieces are really looking nice.

On another note my green hairy shrooms split the other night, looks like they might do it again. Going to frag 1-2 of them soon as well.

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
how long did you have your hairy shroom before it split? or should i say how big was it? i have one in my tank that's huge! and im waiting for it to split.. i can't really see its mouth to see if its started or not but i think it should be splitting anyday, if i fraged it i could probably get 5 out of it at least and they would be decent sized ill take a pic when i get home from work tonight about 1130pm

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
ewww thats that brown thing coming out??...lol jk

since my LFS didnt have any ricordeas in stock i'll try again next time.

if u cut the shrooms on the live rock still in the tank will they just heal back together or divide? i heard some people frag inside tanks.

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
I had it for just a couple of weeks, probably like 2 at most. I'd say they were 2-3" diameter when it split.

They are really cramped in my 2.5gal but if i fragged them i'd have no where to house the frags until they attached so i'm trying to wait it out. They've started growing up the glass in that corner of the tank lol.