my crabs are eating my star....

jammerz

Large Fish
Feb 28, 2005
Boise
my trigger doesn't bug my urchin, crabs or snails. And my urchin was doing fine in my nitrate pool. FYI my nitrates are a thing of the past add a refugium and scrap the crushed coral sub...

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
urchins aren't particularly good in reefs because they are awkward and tend to knock stuff over...putting him in the 55 is best for him. and fix the damn nitrates already, its been months; have you gotten a skimmer yet?

Feb 28, 2005
Waterford, CA
1979camaro said:
urchins aren't particularly good in reefs because they are awkward and tend to knock stuff over...putting him in the 55 is best for him. and fix the damn nitrates already, its been months; have you gotten a skimmer yet?
A skimmer just sounds like a magical peice of equpment. it will just solve all the problems... *twirlysmi (I want one already)

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
1979camaro said:
and fix the damn nitrates already, its been months; have you gotten a skimmer yet?

i got a skimmer months ago when u suggested it remember i got the prism and u said it was just an ok skimmer.... ill get a better one on my next setup...i did a 5 gallon water change last week and a 10 gallon water change yesterday and they still seem to be high
btw i just gave 10 of the hermits to a friend so down to 10 now ;)

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
unfortunately, this is a difficult question to answer because everyone's tank conditions vary but:

i am lightly stocked and have an excellent skimmer so I do 15% a month; if i wanted to keep SPS coral I would probably do 15% bi-weekly

since you will be getting an excellent skimmer as well and you are very lightly stocked with no corals i think 15% monthly will be just fine for you...until you get the skimmer I would do a couple 5g buckets every week just to help get your water quality up to par.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
ok the starfish actualy died :eek: i guess ill only add some more rock and hold off till i get that 65 gallon oh yea and ill put the urchin in the 55 gallon.. btw camaro u say sea weed for the urchin?? how well do you think that would go with the fish that are already in there?? and if you dont think it will do so well what are some other options?

Last edited:

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Surprise, surprise the starfish died.

TRe you have so much going on in your tanks it's hard to know what to advise - you're basically going for the lesser of any number of evils.

FWIW I have a 250 litres, w/ skimmer, 4 fish and I still swap 10% a week, and strangely I don't seem to get half the hassles you guys get. I will admit I'm thinking of one or two more fish.

The urchin will likely be fine in a reef as it will surely have enough algae there, but watch that aquascaping, they bulldozer.