My first Tank!!!

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
LOL OK, you had me there for a minute, ha, right, that's your first tank! LOL

No really, it looks great, I am completely jealous. What substrate is that? How long has the tank been up and running?

Apr 6, 2006
LOL OK, you had me there for a minute, ha, right, that's your first tank! LOL

No really, it looks great, I am completely jealous. What substrate is that? How long has the tank been up and running?
Thanks alot!! I've been working hard to get it how I want it, and still haven't completed yet!! I had a goldfish as a kid, and when I ran across this 29g used I snatched it up. The sub is just a light colored pea gravel from the LFS, and Ive had it up almost a month. I used BioSpira at startup, and have kept check on water parameters. The cycle really went smooth. 2 Anacharis, 2 corkscrew Vals, some Java moss and Java fern, 1 Opaline Gourami, 2 Blue Honey Gouramis, 4 Black skirt Tetras, 6 Zebra Danois, and 3 Gold Barbs. I run a Penguin Bio-wheel 350, and although I may be a bit overstocked, I keep a close eye on things.

(BTW, I also have a 9 year old Ball Python called Maynard...)

Apr 6, 2006
Thanx everyone, for the compliments. I have to say, this place has given me PRICELESS info and insight into our beloved, yet addictive hobby. I really couldn't have done it without you...(sniffle)*ALL*

....and yes, I'm hooked. My wifey told me today that I'm obsessing unhealthily..*SLEEPING*

Next project dwon the road will probably be a nano salty setup.....that is after I get a little more aquainted with my freshy....

Apr 6, 2006
Here's a few more...a little blurry, but I'm just getting the hang of this digi cam.

Group shot w/ the Danios..they NEVER stop swimming!

The Black Skirt Tetras

Hard to photograph, but these guys are beautiful...and the sweetest

Another...love the headstand.

Gold barbs..one of my faves.

"Mike"...He's the coolest..

Couldn't resist...My big furry baby boy and I

Etheostoma

Large Fish
Aug 28, 2005
Missouri, USA
First tank?

I didn't think there was such a thing as a prodigy in this hobby, but if there were, you'd be as close a bet as there was.

As for obsessing "unhealthily", remind the wife of the benefits of having a hobby and the beneficial effects of enjoying the aquarium. Both are serious stress reducers. Stress not only causes premature aging, it can kill.

The way I see it, it's part of a total fitness plan. :)

ZenGoalie

Medium Fish
Apr 1, 2006
Southern NH
www.monkeypants.net
Looks great. I'm just getting my tank up, so I'm quickly falling into the obsession too. Love your furry baby! I've got a GSD myself...(had to just re-type that because I had two-but just lost one of my boys...) That's them in the icon. (Luke, the brown one is the one I had to just put to sleep. It's only been a month)
The tank I'm starting up is helping to get over missing my furry baby.

You've got many of the same fish I've got/plan to get. I've got 4 gold barbs, and 4 danios. I am planning on getting some honey gouramis and an opaline one too. I'll have to post a few pix myself.

Welcome!

Apr 6, 2006
Alright now, stop it. I have just been lucky to get good specimens of fish and plants, and a whole lot of good info from this site. As far as the layout of the tank goes, It took me a long time planning what I wanted and where I wanted it. One thing I had a hard time with was the background. I really couldn't find one that I liked. I think alot of the readily available ones are either cheesy, too "busy", or inappropriate. Then I visited a LFS and they had one piece of "Deep Sea Blue" Figured that would be a nice contrast to the green plants, but still be subdued enough to let the fish and the aquascaping take center stage.

At the time of startup I was using the light that came with the hood. Just a 20 watt FL. I realized very quickly that I needed a boost, especially since I wanted a planted tank. When I bought my plants, I really wasn't sure what my lighting would end up being, so I got some low-light varieties. They did OK under the 20w, but now after I did a retro-fit 65w PC FL in my old hood, they are gettin' it on! BTW, I highly recommend this mod. It cost me $50 for the kit,(eBay) and after it's done, you can't tell I've changed a thing just by looking at the hood. In the tank, it's a different story. The colors of the fish are brilliant!! They just glow.

Speaking of the fish, I started w/ the Danios and the Tetras. Then the Honeys, then the Barbs, and then the Opaline. I chose my fish on the basis of compatibility, hardiness, size, and color. Basically I wanted a peaceful, active community tank with a variety of color. For anyone with a tank, I recommend planted. It is such a joy to watch them grow and multiply. Definitely keeps me with that "New Tank" feeling because it's always changing. Although it is a bit more work as far as pruning goes, but not alot. Just a little snip-snip while the water level is low during a regular water change.

Anyways, thank you all again for the help and compliments. Get ready for when I do run into a problem, I will need your experience. I plan on being around for awhile, keeping up with everyone's progress and occasionally reporting mine.

Apr 6, 2006
Looks great. I'm just getting my tank up, so I'm quickly falling into the obsession too. Love your furry baby! I've got a GSD myself...(had to just re-type that because I had two-but just lost one of my boys...) That's them in the icon. (Luke, the brown one is the one I had to just put to sleep. It's only been a month)
The tank I'm starting up is helping to get over missing my furry baby.

You've got many of the same fish I've got/plan to get. I've got 4 gold barbs, and 4 danios. I am planning on getting some honey gouramis and an opaline one too. I'll have to post a few pix myself.
I am so sorry to hear that.:eek: I love my dogs so much, they are simply a part of my family. I have a 7 yr old Black lab female, and my GSD is 15 mo. I rescued him from a local shelter when he was 3 mo. and I swear he is the friendliest GSD I have ever seen. He loves EVERYBODY!! My tank has kept me busy, and that is a good way to make sad times more bearable.(I've lost two grandparents in the last three mo.)

Back to topic..(sorry mods)*PEACE!*
I absolutely LOVE my Gold Barbs.. They are so freakin' funny. They will follow each other, and occasionally other fish, in games of follow the leader. Often when another fish is doing something, they are the first on the scene checking out whats up. I will definitely get more of those. My Opaline has so far been peaceful, no problems yet and he is definitely the centerpiece fish. The Honeys are the most darling fish I have found in a LFS yet. I was browsing the LFS on my lunch break and bought them on a whim. They seemed the best of friends in the store and were very inquisitive of me as I checked them out. I would love to see more pics of your tank, as well as others!!

Apr 3, 2006
UK
I see you have a blue background, it looks great, i am wondering do you have blue lighting as well? I am interested in recreating the effect you have going on in your tank. Just cycling my 28g, only just starting out myself and am trying to get some inspiration, your tank is the best ive seen!!

This is my tank.

http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5564&d=1144272781
http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5565&d=1144272792
http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5566&d=1144272804
http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5567&d=1144272817